9 REPLIES
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Gmail has changed the way you sign in

Well as of this morning it has changed for me, when i say change .. i mean the layout and new look

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

So I've noticed, it's now making me sign in each time which is perhaps not a bad thing but what's also changed it my email notifications - I don't get them, and now have to log in to check for any new ones.

A temporary thing, a glitch, or is this how things are going to be. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

So I've noticed, it's now making me sign in each time which is perhaps not a bad thing but what's also changed it my email notifications - I don't get them, and now have to log in to check for any new ones.

Have you tried enabling Google's 'Material Design' in Chrome? I did this a few weeks ago and aside the slightly newer look to everything I'm still getting email notifications.

Follow the advice on this page: How to turn Chromes New Material Design ON & OFF

EDIT:

You won't be required to sign in on each visit if you change the above settings.

Community Veteran

I noticed when logging into Youtube yesterday to check comments, it had a new sign-in interface, so I guess it's a google-wide thing rather than just for gmail...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@MKSlinky

Cheers, I'll give that a go Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Pete11
Pro

I haven't noticed any changes here yet. I wonder if this is a 'area by area' type of thing. Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman

You probably won't notice many changes to how Chrome looks, much of the changes seem to be 'under the hood' so to speak. 

Mainly I notice the settings area is what has changed the most with a new layout which seems to be much tidier than the previous look. Another thing that many Chrome users will know is that Chrome continues to run in the background even after closing your browser. This can eat up several hundred MB's of memory which has always annoyed me. There is an option to disable this from happening but it didn't work until I enabled the 'Material Design'.

Try it yourself if you like? Once you've enabled Material Design open up the Chrome settings and scroll down to the 'Advanced Options'. Set the first item to disabled so the button is greyed out. It's made quite a difference on my machine and recovered valuable memory which was previously being wasted.

Chrome Advanced Settings.png