Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail Tap

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gmail Tap

Does anyone use gmail tap ?

It's been out for some time now.

The keyboard is replaced with just 2 keys so it becomes a morse keyboard.

I cannot see how it would be much quicker for most people than using a standard keyboard

8 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Gmail Tap

Handy for blind people and those who cannot see the screen very well?

Not sure how it can be quicker though unless it has some sort of predictive text or algorithms. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

FunnyFunnyFunny

So,... this is NEW ?    this was the "original" internet... when Britain, got wired up to the world using undersea cables ! ! ..

I have been using Morse to communicate around the world with wireless technology since 1960 when I joined the Navy and became trained as a Radio Operator...

2016 and I am still using morse to communicate over the modern internet, every day,  with other like minded people around the world, using a program called CWCOM which means I can connect my key to my laptop and contact peopl via morse code.. (I have contacts in  Australia, Japan europe, and USA. and new one`s almost every week in other countries. ) In fact, I have just finished talking to a guy in Mexico, who I last contacted a couple of days ago... 

I use a "straight key"... and can send at 30 wpm, or to put it another way, 180 letters per minute..

.the gmail tap is utilising what we, in the ham radio world, would call IAMBIC or paddle type sending... well experienced paddle key users can achieve 35 to 40 wpm for short periods.

During my time in the navy, we used to have to sit at a typewriter for 4 hour watches (shifts). during normal steaming, or up to 10 hours watches when on "war footing" , typing the morse we received over the radio at about 25 wpm... and that would be almost non-stop for the whole period of the watch. depending on the traffic levels. 

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter

Now if GCHQ get in on to you.......?Undecided

Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

If you want to know what 30 words per minute sounds like.... click on this linky

http://www.godfreydykes.info/malta_broadcast_in_suez_war.htm

then click on this line

.... malta broadcast during the suez war.wav

which opens up a .wav file.

Malta Broadcast was the primary means of getting messages from the Admiralty and the UK government, to the ships at sea during the Suez Crisis.  and was in use during my time in the navy from 1960 to 1972 .

Community Veteran

But returning to my original question how much quicker would it be for the average person to use it ?

Assuming you learned morse at what speed would you need to reach before you could go faster than using a key board ?

Admitted learning to send morse is much easier than learning to listen to morse as your mind can insert letters before you hear them, ie. How many letters can follow TH ?

Hard to see that many people will use it ?

Community Veteran

Must admit some of these war films you see sending morse are just rubbish, doubt they exceed 5 words a minute, at that speed they would be asking to get caught !

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Is it true that an experienced morse code operator could recognise the sender by the way messages were received?

Seen it in war movies so it must be. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Is it true. ?  To a certain degree,.... yes.  experienced operators who work on a circuit, get to know the sound of a particular operator that is sending... it is more of a "feeling"... that you "know" the person, by the way they send particular letter symbols, a bit like recognising someone by the way they walk... it is a kind of "fingerprint"..

For example,.. the letter K is dash dot dash... in theory, the dash is three times longer than the dot... but operator A can be recognised as such because he/she sends the first dash as 4 times longer than the dot... it is "that" fine a difference.

Operator B may send the correct timing,   and Operator C may send the last dash as four times the dot length...

this is not necessarily "deliberate", (although certainly it was employed during the war to prove that the message was not being sent "under duress".. )...

I can be watching t.v. with my CWCOM program idling by, on the laptop... as soon as someone comes on, I am generally able to say to my missus....  that`s Mike from Harrogate.... or that`s Guy from Germany,... or Barry from Australia..   ( genuine names and places ) .. etc.