cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global warming

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Global warming

Looking very likely that the minimum Arctic Sea Ice Extent is going to go below the previous record low (2007 which shattered all previous records).
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
Here's the live graph:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
30 REPLIES
Anteaus
Grafter

Re: Global warming

During WW1, a chaplain serving in the trenches is hit by an enemy bullet. The bible in his shirt pocket saves his life. This miraculous event gets frontpage coverage in all the papers, both in the UK and Germany.
Later in the same war, a gambler's life is saved by the pack of cards in his top pocket. No-one reports this event.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/sea_ice_south.php
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's called denial mate! There's a lot of it about.
Our grandchildren will inherit a mess.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

referring to the original post - then again perhaps not  Grin
Community Veteran

I t does look as if that sudden turn means it will only be the second lowest. Here's the graph of the September averages from the October 2010 report:
Figure 3. Monthly September ice extent for 1979 to 2010 shows a decline of 11.5% per decade.
(click image for the full report)
2011 is going to be way down and only a little above 2007 therefore continuing the long term trend.
What the monitoring of the extent doesn't reveal is the total quantity of ice, other monitoring suggests that the thickness of the ice is also reducing.
Community Veteran

this is very interesting - look at the change in where the ice is.
Community Veteran

The climate is changing all the Time, there is plenty of evidence that this country was covered in Ice and snow and at other times has been quite warm.
True the time spans may becoming shorter but I doubt any action we take in this country will have any effect yet we are being made to pay a heavy financial price to counteract global warming which I still think has not been proved either way.
People seem to take a stand either for or against and then strongly defend their position rather than approach it in a more reasoned way.
In fact we could do with some Global Warming in Lancashire, this has been one of the coldest and wettest years for years, even my tomatoes have not gone red and that's the first time in 30 years that's happened.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nozzer
It's called denial mate! There's a lot of it about.
Our grandchildren will inherit a mess.

our forebears didn`t seem to mind...    Roll eyes  ........and are we not "their" grandchildren..... ?  Undecided Cry
Isawitall
Grafter

I'm confused here, now its global warming ? i thought that  stopped in 1998 ?
And when it's cold its called "Climate change "  Roll eyes
Can anyone tell me of any IPCC prediction that came true ?
And why on earth  these so called scientists wont  release any proof (of course there is no proof).
Mr Michael mann (debunked hockey stick) seems determined to hide from any FOI requests even though all his work was public funded (UVA)
The biggest fraud in history !!!
Of course the truth will out in time  Smiley You can't rip off the yanks !
Mann it seems is determined to hide any info on his work  Shocked
Today in Prince William County court Judge Gaylord Finch delayed arguments and the scheduled production of documents in American Tradition Institute’s Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the University of Virginia. A brief hearing was held to discuss a Motion to Intervene in the case by lawyers for former UVA professor Michael Mann, whose records that were created while employed there are what ATI seeks. Judge Finch, recognizing the important precedent-setting potential of the case, said he wanted to schedule a longer hearing — two hours — to hear arguments about whether to allow Dr. Mann, now at Pennsylvania State University, to enter the case.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/09/16/mann-fighting-release-of-uva-emails-on-hockey-stick/
Community Veteran

The biggest flaw in all this is that the very people pushing the worst scenario predictions also have the biggest financial interest in promoting those predictions.
We've been here before with tobacco industry paid scientists telling us all how smoking is safe.

Community Veteran

... and the very people who are the biggest climate change sceptics are those who have the biggest financial interest in denying climate change.
Community Veteran

Who - please provide evidence
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

"Nope nothing to see here, Global warming - humbug !"
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
... and the very people who are the biggest climate change sceptics are those who have the biggest financial interest in denying climate change.

And that's about it. No real independence anywhere.
With governments only jumping on the bandwagon as an excuse to raise taxes/revenue.
Climate change sceptics isn't quite right as I don't believe anyone can deny there is some changes going on. It's just the bit about how much has mankind had a hand in it?