cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Warming? or local?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Global Warming? or local?

Saw this cherry tree in a road near us ... it has been in bloom for a week now. 
I have also noticed the Daff`s are poking their noses out....  Roll eyes
a bit early for Mothers day/Easter/St David`s Day !!!  Cheesy Cheesy
14 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Global Warming? or local?

you should tell Tesco, got a nice shelf of Hot Cross buns Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

I think the sell them all year round, Pierre, as my missus keeps bringing them home "as a treat" !!!..  Roll eyes
dgdclynx
Grafter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/dec/09/poznan-copenhagen-global-warming-targets-climate-c...
And what Kevin Anderson doesnt say is that when this 4 to 5 degree rise happens it will take place in a year or two judging by past equivalent events. It is not going to be a good idea to live too long.

itsme
Grafter

But how much faith can you give this report when they are using fuzzy science?

At 650ppm, the same fuzzy science says the world would face a catastrophic 4C average rise. And even that bleak future, Anderson said, could only be achieved if rich countries adopted "draconian emission reductions within a decade". Only an unprecedented "planned economic recession" might be enough. The current financial woes would not come close.
dgdclynx
Grafter

We can only hope it is not as bad as all that. Read....
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026851.900-are-climate-scientists-overselling-their-models.h...
But fuzzy is in common use in mathematics nowadays. Logic etc.
Heloman
Grafter

If ever there were an example of "fuzzy", Doug, it's that article!
Quote;
"The temptation to interpret model noise as forecast information invades our living rooms every night. TV weather-forecast maps look so realistic it is hard not to over-interpret tiny details - to imagine that the band of rain passing over Oxfordshire at noon next Saturday requires postponing a barbecue. Rain may indeed be likely somewhere in the area sometime on Saturday, but the details we see on TV forecasts are noise from the models."
If it is a band of rain that is forecast (and within three to four days it is a forecast, not a model) then it is a weather front and you will get rain at about that time.
If its showers that are forecast then, as we all know, they are random.
It is long term forecasts (will it be a white Christmas?) that are models, which is why the Met Office don't do those predictions.
Even if the global warming experts are right, there is no chance that the major players (India, China, USA) will take the necessary action. So why are we flagellating ourselves?
Lets put our old light-bulbs back in and enjoy a party while we can  Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Catastrophe: fireball Earth ended on a sobering thought, no matter how technologically advanced we may become, if the planet or whoever you may think rules it from the heavens gets fed up with our antics, things such as an explosion of the supervolcano under Yellowstone National Park in the States or indeed what has been mentioned here can be set in motion and there would not be a thing we could do to prevent our extinction.
I think it does say somehwre in the Bible (and no I'm not a Bible basher but I had to know a bit as I went to a Catholic school) that God has given man the means to destroy himself so who knows, maybe this is how it all ends........ or maybe not.
Community Veteran

Wow!  all this very detailed and intensive discussion .....    Cheesy  all because I photographed a cherry tree in bloom in December !!!  Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Yes, you never know where a thread will go do you.
Community Veteran

nope!  it just seems to thread this way and that, and weave in all sorts of directions, there` s just no pattern to it at all ! Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does that mean I can get a fire engine soon to put out Chillies fire  Cool Cheesy
Fixes: 47

Well I don't think we'll be here when total disaster strikes like the expansion of the sun into a red giant.
I think we will have left this planet and gone to colonise a new 'planet Earth'
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
does that mean I can get a fire engine soon to put out Chillies fire   Cool Cheesy

What have you got against Chilly? Or penguins?
Once had to spend two nights in a tent at the bottom of a glacier in the middle of a penguin colony. They are great company , apart from the smell.....
If you could bottle it, it would be more effective than CS gas!
But I came to love penguins. Perhaps thats why I'm now a linux man. Please would you stop abusing them in your sig.  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nothing against penguins, that is a photo of a 6 ft long cross stitch I did as rehab