Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glasses aka spectacles

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Glasses aka spectacles

That is a good "margin" then.... so not sitting in a "fixed" position , which is good.... will go and see what opticians say in Boots, or similar.... regarding a "cheap" pair of "reading" glasses for laptop work...
Many thanks to all for the comments... much appreciated.  Wink
Highlighted
Fixes: 413

It certainly feels a lot more comfortable using the fixed-focus pair at the PC. To be fair, though, if I just want to go and get something to eat/drink there's no need to change glasses as it isn't too blurry but if I'm going to watch TV or drive then most definitely need to change.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

OK... Update,..... went to Asda aka Wallmart.... saw a guy there and asked for a pair of "reading glasses"..... based on my varifocal lenses.... One week later, I got the glasses, and put them on,... immediately, I could see ( rather could not see ! ) that they were not going to do the job... the guy was wearing an ID card on his tie, and it was about the same distance as the laptop screen would be... I said that it was out of focus,. and needed something else... he replied, to go home and try them on the laptop... I insisted that I could see they were not going to be worth the effort... and he booked me for an appointment with the optician.... had that today at 1530... was kept waiting so kicked off !... 5 mins later I was being seen, having a new eye test... ... I explained the position to the optician, and had my mini laptop with me to demonstrate... ( He said it was a brilliant idea to bring it in, and explain how I worked)... putting a couple of lenses in his "magic" specs... we soon worked out which combination would be correct... he also said... "what you really need is a pair of glasses for VDU / computer work "... so that is how it lies at the moment... £50 for the frames.. and waiting now until later next week for the new glasses to come back...
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

why 50£ for frames ? I thought the cheap chunky monkey plastic things were free ?
call me daft but I wouldn't waste spend money on glasses for VDU stuff, unless the lenses and any replacements would be free, then again I use Specsavers and my NHS exemption cert to get the free stuff only (I never care what it looks like so long as its not girly and is practical) but then maybe that's just me, the other half likes everything to be "stylish" which I have often observed means impractical and largely useless, it also seems to mean more frequent replacements as "fashion changes"
I will never understand the fashion chasing trend that seems to have gripped civilisation, it all seems like needless expense to me  Huh
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted

I also use Specsavers and my fixed-focal pair for VDU use was only £25 (both frame and lenses).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Good to hear you're  making progress Shutter.  Let us know how you get on. I like your idea to take your laptop along with you. Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran

As someone who has spent 60 years wearing specs and with the greatest of respect to all those here who have responded. I find it difficult to believe that anybody would "play" with their eyesight without the benefit of professional advice from an qualified optician.
Ok, I have a difficult prescription, myopic (short-sight) with an astigmatism in one eye and don't need to use glasses to read at normal book reading distance. Admittedly my latest pair are super thin light-weight, multi-focus transitions and fully multi-coated at £200 for each lens less frame, Cost in access of £540.
There is no way that I would walk into my local Boots looking for off the peg glasses.
With my glasses on I have 20-20 vision.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
why 50£ for frames ? I thought the cheap chunky monkey plastic things were free ?
call me daft but I wouldn't waste spend money on glasses for VDU stuff, unless the lenses and any replacements would be free, then again I use Specsavers and my NHS exemption cert to get the free stuff only (I never care what it looks like so long as its not girly and is practical) but then maybe that's just me, the other half likes everything to be "stylish" which I have often observed means impractical and largely useless, it also seems to mean more frequent replacements as "fashion changes"
I will never understand the fashion chasing trend that seems to have gripped civilisation, it all seems like needless expense to me  Huh

£50 for frames is cheapest frames in asda... not chunky black stuff ("chunky monkey" ) but light and easy to wear with "proper "saddle" for the nose support.
You say you would not waste spend money on glasses for vdu stuff.... well. I don`t consider it to be a waste.... these glasses will make it more comfortable for me to type on the laptop,, not having to hold my head back and get a pain in the neck doing stuff... but more importanly, these new glasses will be "tailored" to my specific needs, which will reduce eye strain, and possible complications in the eyes later on.
I am not "chasing fashion" with the frames... more to be practical with light frames, that will not cause me to have headaches or pain in the nose area through long usage.
I spend best part of 12 hours a day using my laptop for various functions, so it is important that I take care of my eyes, and my neck.
So , yes,... I call you Daft... for not being considerate to your eyes, if you consider £50 for frames to be a waste of money.
As an aside... I went to ASDA because they are literally, only 1 mile away, from home, and I can park right outside the main door.. I would have to pass ASDA to get to specsavers ! ! ! .. and . so no hassle trying to find parking near to specsavers...  !..
Highlighted
Pro

it wasn't meant to be a dig at you personally more a rant about frame prices,
why does a pair of what I consider to be basic frames cost almost £100 simply because they have an illegible brand name on yet the exact same frames are given away free by the NHS without the additional few micrograms of paint (and yes up to £250 of frame +lenses combo is free at Specsavers with an exemption certificate) as are coatings like ant glare + scratch resistant and for a tenner they will upgrade to impact +scratch resistant lenses for an additional fiver you can have them as transitions lenses,
my missus OTOH has to have stupidly priced frames (because the lenses are free) because of a tiny fleck of paint on the inside of the arm's and a peel off sticker on the display lenses.......sort of thing that sticks in the back of the throat particularly when she encourages the brats to follow in her idiotic vanity regardless of our financial position .........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran

UPDATE>...
Finally.  i have my "computer" glasses...  must say the whole screen is now in focus just by moving my eyes.!... needs to get used to doing that instead of moving my head !.. whilst they are good for the laptop, they are no good for close up work, like fixing printed circuit boards, nor are they any good for driving.... even walking about, the "distant" objects ( more than 3 feet away), are out of focus... not a problem indoors, so long as "er indoors" doesn`t move the furniture about.!>!> ! ! ! ..
Will see how it pans out for long term usage, and see if it makes any difference to "tired eyes"...
Highlighted

Quote from: shutter
Will see how it pans out for long term usage, and see if it makes any difference to "tired eyes"...

It certainly makes a difference to my tired eyes when I use them. I simply forget to - like now Cheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Good to hear things are working out. Since my cataract operation I haven't worn glasses for anything which I am pleased about.  Things may alter if I decide to have the other cataract done. Will have to see.
I was at the hospital yesterday for a check-up and the surgeon said I may need an adjustment to the cataract in the New Year.  It's done with laser apparently.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

One month on... and an update...
OK.. so originally, I had to hold my head back, look down my nose, to see the laptop screen.... this caused me to have neck ache, and eye strain... Since having my "fixed focus" "computer glasses".. I have not had to hold my head back, nor have I had any neck pain... and best of all, my eyes are not tired any more... I enjoy using my laptop more... and it sure has made a big improvement in my well being...
so... to anyone who has vari-focals and has to lift their chin and look down their nose at a screen.... go get some "proper" COMPUTER/VDU glasses from your local optician... do not ask for "reading glasses"..
The only draw back, is remembering to change over glasses when not actually using the laptop!... but that is only a "minor niggle"  Cheesy
Highlighted

There's been a few times when I've walked away from the PC then suddenly realised everything is a little blurred and I'm straining to see again.
Now I tend to keep the vari-focals in a case on my lap so that I don't forget to change them back.
So glad the fixed-focals have worked out for you as well.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

or in my case 100 yds down the road driving the car as with my computer glasses in bright sunlight my vision isn't bad