cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glasses aka spectacles

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Glasses aka spectacles

I spend a lot of time on my laptop... no, silly.... not, "ON", my laptop....  Roll eyes .... and I wear varifocal glasses/spectacles... this means that I have to hold my head back, so I can read the text on the laptop screen, through the bottom third of the lenses.... I often suffer from eye fatigue, where my eyelids feel as if they are sticky and need to be cleaned with a damp cloth !...
I wonder if a "normal" pair of "reading glasses" would be useful to have, just for while I am using the laptop.
should I see an optician and get a special prescription type of reading glasses, or would a "cheap" chemist shop version do the job ?
Any comments/suggestions ?
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Glasses aka spectacles

Buy a pair of cheap ones to start and see how you get on with them.  Before I had my cataract done this is what I di and it worked well.  Also it is advised to get up from the PC for a break every 20-30 minutes.
Community Veteran

Thanks... Yes, I do get up and have a walk about every 30 mins or so... just to stretch my legs, more than anything... but do manage to get to the kitchen sink, and a bit of damp kitchen roll seems to help with the "sticky lids" syndrome !...  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If your prescription is not 'complex' and both eyes require the same (or near the same) correction then cheap reading glasses may be perfectly adequate, when trying them, remember that the 'reading distance' for a laptop screen may be a bit further than for reading a book.
If your prescription requires significant correction other than 'spherical' or the strength differs significantly for each eye (I'm assuming you have two) then you'd be better with special prescription glasses.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

I used to have prescription glasses but I had company supplied medical insurance.
For the last 3 years I have used a £20 pair of reading glasses from Boots.
However recently my eyes have felt tired and I guess I either need a slightly stronger pair or an eye test.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you have high blood pressure that can also be a factor, dry gritty eyes / double vision / blinding headaches in the morning.  It was my optician that told be to get a MOT, now on medication for it and the eye strain and related headaches are now gone.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Fixes: 47

As a gadget freak I have the inevitable blood pressure tester and my blood pressure is fine Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

If you have vari focals or bi focals you need to check the prescription as it is possible that you won't need reading glasses for a computer
I don't as I don't need glasses for reading but I do need a small prescription to see the screen as it is blurred unless I get to within about 12 inches viewing distance
Community Veteran

BP is ok... excellent, in fact... despite lack of exercise ! ! ! ...
I need glasses just to see things normally.... without them I only see fuzzy images, similar to "bokeh" in photographs !...  certainly cannot read print, either on screen or in a book/newspaper.
Community Veteran

Have you had a full eye test recently?  I found images blurred before my cataract operation but not since.
Community Veteran

I've worn varifocals for years now, ever since I needed help with close vision. In fact, I never even tried bifocals but went straight to varifocals.
I don't have any problems with eye strain or headaches so I would think you need to have your eyes tested again. A small shift can be extremely noticeable when you are reading print on the screen.
Also, maybe the 'sweet spot' is a little too low on your lenses making you tilt your head back too much. I only have to tilt mine back slightly when at the screen, but further back when reading a book!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Yeah... recent eye test was earlier this year... needed new glasses cos the old ones were scratched.. and broke (a bit )... !.. 
Fixes: 125

I am extremely myopic but need varifocals. I found this out a few years ago as I could see clearly for driving yet I had to take my glasses of and have the print within 8 or inches of my face to read.
Last time I went to the opticians earlier this year I explained that I found using the PC difficult as, like shutter, I would have to tilt my head. What he suggested was a cheap (£25) pair of fixed-focal glasses for using the PC. All I had to do was go back home, sit at the PC and measure the distance from my eyes to the screen. These glasses are excellent. The only downfall is as soon as you look away everything is blurry so I keep both sets of glasses to hand.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Interesting point about the distance from the screen.... do you find you have a "leeway" of say 6" either side of the "view point/focal " distance... or is it quite definite?
Fixes: 125

A quick test and I'd say that the closest I could get to the screen was around 12" and, due to constraint with space at the moment, the furthest I could bend backwards was about 36" from the screen and it was still in focus.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still