cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving up computing

N/A

Giving up computing

It has recently occurred to me that I only ever read or learn of folk who have taken up computing but I am not aware of anyone who has actually made the decision to give it up.
This made me ponder about the reasons why someone would want to do a reverse turn and how one would go about it, particularly as the computer seems (like tentacles) to weave its way into so many areas of our lives.
I am no nerd and do not spend long periods of time on the computer but I would have to think things out carefully about managing my life without access to the machine.
I floated the idea of going cold turkey for a few days to see if I could cope, but I just had to creep back and check on things. I think that it would have to be gradual withdrawal for me, but with no guarantee of success. Guess I am well and truly addicted then!
38 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Giving up computing

I know I am addicted to looking at this forum and my emails........................ need computer too to check bank balance etc.
Was away for 5 days last weeks and was really missing the machine. Cry
It is especially useful when one is stopped from gardening by heavy rain as this afternoon, or when is bored by tennis on TV, or cannot get into what appeared to be an interesting book! Smiley
I could not do without my computer nowadays.
Community Veteran

I'd hate to be without my computer (well, the internet) - it's the only feasible way of keeping in touch with a couple of my friends, not least my closest friend who's in France atm... thank heavens for iChat!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember my first computer, an Acorn Electron, bought at a car boot sale. (just as they were going out of fashion!)  It worked out of the box when I got it home, didn`t have a clue what to do with it, but started to learn....d.i.y style.! !  at the time my wife said "what do you want a computer for?"  I did not really have an answer!  Now she spends more time than me on the net on her own laptop !.... having learnt everything she knows from me !.... I`m sure neither of us would be able to cope with life without it !
Fixes: 104

I'd love to give up computing but I'd get the sack as I wouldn't be able to do my job properly  Roll eyes
So addicted that I check my mail and other things when out and about on my phone.
My first computer was an acorn electron too and like shutter became totally hooked, self taught then book taught.
In fact my life is mirroring shutters in another way in that SWMBO now has her own laptop and spends the same amount of time on line as I do.
Got any tips as I what happens next shutter ? Cheesy  Shocked
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Got any tips as I what happens next shutter ?

Well, I`m not sure, but she has been hinting she want to learn to drive !.... Undecided Cry Undecided
jmd
Grafter

That would be good for you Shutter - she can go shopping on her own then and you can play with the computer! Grin

edit; but do not be the one who teaches her!
Community Veteran

I have already told her I will not teach her !.... she never listens to what I tell her on the computer, thinks I am trying to take over her computer, then bumbles around, and asks me again cos she can`t do it. !.... Can you imagine the chaos on the road with an attitude like that !  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Roll eyes
Problem with her going shopping on her own, she will get lost, or prang the car, then I would have to go by bus, to try and find her, or we would not have a car anymore. Lips are sealed Undecided Lips are sealed
Another problem with her driving.... she doesn`t know left from right, and has no sense of direction, or anticipation. Undecided Undecided
Another problem.... two cars, two loads of mot, two loads of insurance, two loads of fuel costs, everything doubles up in costs, with very little benefit..... Cry Cry Cry
At least when I have to take her shopping, I get some peace and quiet, whilst sitting in the car park(s) waiting for her!.  Cheesy Smiley

EDIT : .... must remember to take my laptop with me next time we go shopping !
Community Veteran

Save the money on driving lessons & a 2nd car and open her an account (that you pay for) with the local taxi firm  Grin
Fixes: 104

Quote from: shutter
I have already told her I will not teach her !.... she never listens to what I tell her on the computer, thinks I am trying to take over her computer, then bumbles around, and asks me again cos she can`t do it. !.... Can you imagine the chaos on the road with an attitude like that !  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Roll eyes
Another problem with her driving.... she doesn`t know left from right, and has no sense of direction, or anticipation. Undecided Undecided

At least when I have to take her shopping, I get some peace and quiet, whilst sitting in the car park(s) waiting for her!.  Cheesy Smiley

Yep sounds like my wife, this is getting scary shutter....
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Whos wife (or rather) whos hasnt got one Lips are sealed Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Save the money on driving lessons & a 2nd car and open her an account (that you pay for) with the local taxi firm  Grin

How rich do you think I am? Roll eyes
There would definitely be no saving on the way of working things out.....  Undecided
she`d be like a runaway train..... Grin
(unfortunately, she would keep steaming back for more!!!) Cry Cry Cry

Edit..... hang on a mo..... she already thinks I am the local taxi firm !
Fixes: 47

I also couldn't do without my computer as it's part of my job.
I also bought a computer years ago and was asked by my wife, "what do you want that for?" and who promptly took it over Sad
I wish I had a pound for the number of times in the past people had said to me, "very nice.....but what does it do?"....hardly the point Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

and without a computer how would we communicate on this Forum? Huh
Community Veteran

Well, We would not be "communicating" via a computer, we would probably be sending postcards in to R.L. on 208 metres medium wave, and waiting for it to fade back in, so we could hear the announcer call out our name with your message, and a suitable record! Cheesy