cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving my Router a Rest.

Fixes: 47

Giving my Router a Rest.

Last night at around 11pm I did something I have not done for a long time.......I turned off my router for the night mainly because I restarted it and it failed to reconnect to PN so I decided to give it a rest.
It felt like having an arm removed knowing that I was cut off from the internet Sad
Various devices around the house like my mobile phone and NAS drive complained bitterly and then fell into a silent sulk.
You may be able to understand the wonderful feeling across my network when I switched the router back on and connection to the rest of the planet was restored Cool
Because of this little exercise I can empathise more with people who lose their internet connection for extended periods of time.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
25 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Giving my Router a Rest.

We've frequently been getting disconnects recently and I've just resigned myslef to waiting for it to come back usually within a couple of minutes. I then check the sync and if it's too much lower than it was I'll reboot the router (if it's after 4pm then I usually wait till the next morning).
I can guarantee that within 20 seconds of it going down SWMBO is on to me to sort it out like I know some magic formula Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@'Strat - I had wondered what had happened - having seen the big red block on your TBB ping chart !.
Perhaps you should consider adding a separate cable router, or using an external modem with your 7800N, so that when you rest or reboot your internet connection - that your LAN stays up and you can still access your NAS etc.

Thanks for the suggestion purleigh but I'm not planning on repeating the procedure as the effect on both my network and myself was too upsetting Sad
When I switched my router back on I received notifications from various devices regarding the down time and some of them were heart-rending.
I couldn't put them through that again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

lol
You know I don't exactly do a lot online, I have my usual regular sites that I visit, a couple of browser based mutiplayer games and thats about it. When I'm online I get bored quite quickly yet the moment the connection is gone I don't know what to do with myself  Crazy
Even in the hospital my missus had to bring my netbook and dongle for me to use. Nearly met death but as long as I was connected while doing so..  Cheesy
I think I need help. I used to think I could give up the internet any time.. now I'm not so sure..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah.... a bit like smoking...... becomes a necessity, even if you don`t like it !... me... I love the net... spend all day on it.. ( nearly )... and like strat would be at a real loss, as to how to fill the void  if it went down for any serious amount of time.... got me a WiFi dongle, that is FREE to use with just under 7 Gb of data in credit.... so that would keep me going for about 3 days  on present usage !.
Community Veteran

On Watchdog last night they were discussing energy saving and one of their suggestions was to turn of routers when not in use.
I never turn my router off except when I go away from home on holiday.
Like Strat and Shutter I feel lost if my internet isn't working.

I saw that item on Watchdog and thought Noooooo!!!
Community Veteran

Seriously.... how much would you save if you only turned your router off at night ?  Roll eyes

I wasn't thinking in terms of money but bandwidth if a user turns off the router a number of times a day.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
On Watchdog last night they were discussing energy saving and one of their suggestions was to turn of routers when not in use.

Potentially a good idea.. but doesn' that affect your connection speed? - I thought if you disconnected frequently the ISP would drop the speed?
Community Veteran

Which is what Strat was eluding to I think Undecided
Community Veteran

Well if we're going to turn our routers off at night then the ISPs will need to play their part too!
Community Veteran

Edit ....  Roll eyes

Quote from: artmo
Which is what Strat was eluding alluding  to I think Undecided

* eluding to..... escape from or avoid (a danger, enemy, or pursuer), typically in a skilful or cunning way.
* alluding to...  suggest or call attention to indirectly; hint at.
Community Veteran

Thank you for the correction Shutter. Smiley