Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving Up - Smoking

Mand
Grafter

Giving Up - Smoking

Hi guys,
I seem to remember from various posts in the past that a bunch of you lovely people have given up smoking in the past, so am wondering if you have any tips to help make sure that kicking the habit is permanent this time.
Currently on day 3. Have got this far on willpower alone Cheesy
72 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Giving Up - Smoking

I gave up in Feb 1988 but don't think you'd enjoy three weeks, on ventilator, in ITU as an aid.
Keep it up Mand and really hope you succeed.
Community Veteran

not easy is it?  the trick is to think of something else when the desire kicks in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I gave up about 30 years ago. About 10 days laid low with a really bad dose of the flu did it for me
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Gave up about four years ago. Did it by reading Alan Carr's Stop Smoking the Easy Way.
Would highly recommend it, you can pick it up for around the price of a packet of 20 these days. You have to want to stop and you do have to follow the book carefully, but very little will power is required. Having attempted to stop before this occasion, I can say that it was much easier this time around and there have been no relapses, no cravings and I've still been able to be around people smoking without any real aversion.
greyposter
Grafter

I gave up smoking about 29 months ago.I used patches for about 8 months and that helped me.Good luck,what ever you do.
David_W
Rising Star

The worst part of giving up wasn't the actual giving up smoking part (at least in my case) it was the habit of reaching for a smoke in certain situations.  Sitting down at my PC with a coffee my habit is to reach for a ciggie so I'd find myself sitting at my PC and reaching for my smokes even though I'd given up which brought out the cravings!  So my biggest tip would be to have something else you can reach for when you get the secondary habit kicking in.  Those white sticks which you puff on like a ciggie (and contain nicoteen) were pretty effective with the cravings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Gave up 37 years ago. Only one way...stop! Only one criteria...do you want to give up? Yes? then that is 90% of the battle. No? then don't waste your time, you're end up smoking more. Cutting down is not giving up, however much you may think it is. Patches, gum etc. line the pockets of the manufacturers. They may make you feel better for a short while but will ultimately fail.
Get up each morning, look in the mirror and remind yourself that you are now a non-smoker. Colleagues and friends will "forget" and offer you a fag...refuse. After a surprisingly short time you will begin to dislike the smell of second-hand  smoke, your clothes will smell better, if you're attached to someone who smokes, you will notice its like kissing an ashtray.
You may find you are a bit short tempered as the withdrawal comes into play, that is no excuse for starting again...it wears off.
Your food tastes better.
What does surprise me is that this and some recent generations who have all the knowledge and information that we of advanced years never had but, still take it up for the same reasons we did. They think it looks good.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
greyposter
Grafter

I don't intend to fail.28 months and still smoke free.
itsme
Grafter

I use to go swimming as even when I smoked I could not bear the taste of smoke and chlorine.
Mand
Grafter

Thanks for the tips guys.
I agree with what you've said about wanting to give up, I've half-heartedly 'quit' before, but this time I actually *want* to stop.
@David W, yeah it's the habit I'm struggling with more than the cravings.
@Phil E, thanks, will grab a copy.
jazz
Grafter

I gave up about 18 years ago after 30 years of smoking.  I found will power was the most important bit but I concentrated on giving up "one day at a time" (I'd "quit" several times before my final one!) but I also found that switching out of routine (less coffees and more juices, little carrot sticks in a small box to nibble on <puff on> instead of a cigarette) was a great help.  Once I'd done a week  it got gradually easier.  I also felt by then that I'd gone through so much I wasn't going to waste the effort by going back to fags.  I don't regret giving up for one single moment - I only regret ever starting.  Good Luck Mand and just post on here if things seem to get tough. I'm sure you'll find support.  Smiley
Community Veteran

Good Luck Mand Smiley Smiley  Just think of all the extra money you'll have to spend Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why not put all the money you would have spent on fags aside to buy yourself a treat in three months time? You could also set yourself a penalty to what happens to all that money if you fail to quit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Took me about 2 years.... gave up s-l-o-w-l-y..... making an effort to smoke one cig less per day... and trying to make the first one in the morning a bit later every day... haven`t smoked a fag for over 25 years now...
Best thing about it... I can smell the flowers, and I don`t smell like an ashtray ! ! ..  Cheesy