Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give social networks fake details, advises Whitehall web security official

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Give social networks fake details, advises Whitehall web security official

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20082493
A senior government official has sparked anger by advising internet users to give fake details to websites to protect their security.
Andy Smith, an internet security chief at the Cabinet Office, said people should only give accurate details to trusted sites such as government ones.
He said names and addresses posted on social networking sites "can be used against you" by criminals.
His advice was described by Labour MP Helen Goodman as "totally outrageous".
Ms Goodman, shadow culture minister, told BBC News: "This is the kind of behaviour that, in the end, promotes crime.
"It is exactly what we don't want. We want more security online. It's anonymity which facilitates cyber-bullying, the abuse of children.
"I was genuinely shocked that a public official could say such a thing."
18 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Give social networks fake details, advises Whitehall web security official

Everything I sign up for ( apart from specific personal accounts, such as PlusNet & Bank ) I give false details, noted on my Internet Passwords file (pw protected) my d.o.b. is always out by the same amount, and I note which of my email addresses I give for each site, making it easier to spot sudden SPAM, which rarely arrives anyway.
And if someone rings asking me to prove who I am, they get asked first, then I decline anyway, usually, unless it is an expected or pre-booked call, such as some mobile or other query I have raised.
I never give out my landline number, always the same mobile, which I can switch off overnight etc.
Family have access to specific known numbers.
St3
All Star

hmm so i take it those eyes aint yours either then  Cheesy
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Infinity
Pro

I'm not saying   Wink

Fixes: 125

@PluscomUK +1
Except I prefer not to give my mobile on the basis that I'd rather be bothered with inane calls when relaxed at home than out and about.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

CX
Grafter

But how would the police come knocking on your door if you say a "nasty cruel mean thing" to a celebrity, if you don't enter your real details (ignoring the fact that they can just go through your ISP).
I would use real details on a site such as LinkedIn, where it's used for professional reasons, but Facebook or Twitter, possibly not much in the way of real details beyond my name. People that don't already have my birthday or home address do not need it.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Mav
@PluscomUK +1
Except I prefer not to give my mobile on the basis that I'd rather be bothered with inane calls when relaxed at home than out and about.

I use 3 mobiles on a daily basis, just one evenings & overnight (family)
Birthdays, on Social sites, I'm always telling friends & family to remove their birth dates, ie actual d.o.b.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, If I saw you in the street, at least I would recognise you with those beautiful blue eyes   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran

I do a number of online surveys and I often give incorrect details Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I give incorrect details all over the place but I'm not on any social networks (although technically a forum could be counted as one). I use different passwords, DOBs, addresses all over the place online.
What I find strange about this story is that the government always claim they're against crime. Putting sensitive details into any social network is inviting crime (eg burglars while you're out after tweeting what restaurant you're in etc). Now the government are slamming the use of false details? - Just days after saying they'll allow you to login to government services with facebook logins  Crazy
The whole internet is built on usernames and annonymity (or at least it was in the good old days) so I fail to see why its any concern of ministers if you give false details or not.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Not sure why they're called Social Networking sites.
From my limited use of them the majority of what I've seen written has been anything but social  Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Most of the details I give online are fake including phone numbers, birth days, and I usually use throw away email addresses.
This may surprise some of you but I'm not really a flower pot man. Tongue
Infinity
Pro

Not Social Networks, but when I have to give my real name to a company, for online purchases, subscriptions etc, I always include an extra initial in the first name details, so that I can trace any spam, phishing etc emails or calls I may get.
For example, I have just taken out a trial sub to Radio Times, my first name had R T added.
I have to use my correct name or initial for banking details, or credit card purchases.
And of course my cross cut shredder gets daily use.
And as prev post, I also use single use hotmail addresses when I feel the need.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: billnotben
This may surprise some of you but I'm not really a flower pot man. Tongue

Shucks...................... shattered an illusion Roll eyes Roll eyes

I'm not really a lion but my strength is my mane attraction  Wink
Quote from: PlusComUK
For example, I have just taken out a trial sub to Radio Times, my first name had R T added.

I do something similar but, for example, when I registered with YouView my email address was youview@.....co.uk