cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give It Up NOW ......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Give It Up NOW ......

Yikes... the smokers have got to "get real" to " get a life"....

Vaping is supposed to be safer than smoking... although I fail to understand, how drawing in to your lungs a "vape" gas, can be a " safe " ...

And this article, should be taken notice of by anyone who "vapes"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7485895/Shocking-scans-vaping-left-19-year-olds-lungs-fil...

Fortunately, I gave up smoking 20 to 25 a day, about 20 years ago.... It took three years, of determined effort to reduce on a weekly basis, the number of cigs smoked... but I think I am much healthier now, than if I had ( were it available at the time) started "vaping" instead...

No... I`m not rich..... but considering the cost of a packet of 20 cigs, these days.. I am surprised at how pensioners, especially, can afford to buy them.... 

15 REPLIES 15
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Give It Up NOW ......

Vaping is supposed to be much safer without all the nasty carcinogens that fags have.

Of course that applies to the regulated UK vapes.

In the states (that article) it's a free for all with many things like "happy" ingredients added.

But as you say who would want to anyway.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

I would suggest very few pensioners do smoke these days especially when you consider both age, health and the small amount they/we get for that pension. Not smoked m'self for nigh on forty five years.

What struck me though was Trump's tweets about the number deaths from vaping - eight last year, and his half hearted approach to gun deaths over the same period - nearly forty thousand and no, that's not support for the former.

Vape or cigs not for me and not in my house, and how strange to still see on a bus for example a no 'smoking sign' when these days nobody in their right mind would light up... unless they had been living in another galaxy for the last twenty years.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter wrote:

And this article, should be taken notice of by anyone who "vapes"

Erm, no thanks, daily fail articles are too littered with errors, so I'll pass... Crazy

Community Veteran

Just thought I'd add something that's actually paying attention to the issues of vaping dodgy stuff that causes damage:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Is there not an elment of lifestyle choice here very much as there was with cigs. Habit forming in many cases but it was not there before so...

Did we all really want to look supercool like James Dean. 

I guess we did.

images.jfif

James Dean - for our younger members. Smiley

Community Veteran

It's just been banned in India after several cases of respiratory collapse related to vaping.

https://news.sky.com/story/india-bans-e-cigarettes-after-warning-of-vaping-epidemic-11813410

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

With a population of one and a half billion, good luck with enforcing that. Thumbs Up

The good news? No dog-ends. 

cough cough.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Is smoking a habit or an addiction ?

I have seen people actually get up half way through a meal to go for a smoke ?

Some people seem more prone to addiction than others, looking back I could get through a fair amount of booze but these days hardly touch the stuff but some find it impossible to leave it alone.

I guess vaping was based on a false promise that it could safely replace smoking but it's just one addiction replacing another.

Minesapint
Pro

I gave it up about 30 years ago.

Cold turkey. Me and my OH decided one day that as from the next morning we didn't smoke.

That was it.

Difficult. I'm never tempted to have one, because I remember how difficult it was to pack up.

30 a day back then. Couple of good mates of mine gone in the time since from smoking.

As for vaping, sorry, but why swap one habit that's known to be dangerous, for another that hasn't been around long enough to get any realistic statistical evidence?

You really don't need either of the habits, and I never think about cigarettes now.

And the price of smoking. Crazy!

No thanks!

Mayfly
Pro

Basically the same for me Minesapint. Decided to give up one evening almost 35 yrs ago, never light another one, never craved, tho' I didn't know what to do with my hands for the first 2 days so twiddled a pencil. Smiley They were 99p for 20 then.

Community Veteran

@Mayfly wrote:

for the first 2 days so twiddled a pencil. Smiley They were 99p for 20 then.

Crikey... that`s cheap  ! ! ... Cheesy

Community Veteran

@Minivanman   You, obviously, have not witnessed them at the ciggy counter, aka , customer services, in supermarkets.... buying 200 fags and another 20 quids worth of scratch cards.....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sorry @shutter - who are we talking about?

Community Veteran

@Minivanman   (having just been woken up by the chalk rubber hitting him on the head, from a great distance )..

Message 3 of 14

Pay attention at the back.... and DO try to keep up.... Roll eyes