cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give Blood, Save Lives

Community Veteran

Give Blood, Save Lives

I used to be a regular platelet donor but had not been for several years. Recently I have been working in Belfast City Hospital (installing Wi-Fi) which is beside the HQ for the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service. So today I talked a couple of the guys into calling in for a donation after work. They had never donated before. Quick, easy, painless process and there is also the free biscuits which makes it worthwile. Grin
Seriously though, I feel so much better after having started doing this again and am again going to become a platelet donor. This is just a little add for you as I know over 90% of people still do not bother and some day any of us or someone close to us will need blood or platlets. I am sure this already is or was the case with many of you reading this post. So unless you have a medical reason not to,
"Give blood, Save Lives"
32 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Give Blood, Save Lives

If you go to the london west end donor centre during wimbledon you get strawberries and cream  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

That is not fair, I only got biscuits and milk! Maybe I will ask for a look at the menu next time. Grin
Fixes: 47

I aways look for the Chocolate Bourbons to dunk in my coffee.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

I was a plasma donor for many years until BTS decided to import the stuff from abroad. I therefore went back to blood although I was happier with the former as being of small stature I didn't have any side effects.  They won't let me give platelets because I am not heavy enough, despite the fact that if I was the weight that they required I would actually be overweight for my height!
Over the years the goalposts have got higher and I am surprised anyone actually qualifies to give blood. Despite years of donating (I have the 100 donation plate), I was rejected on more than one occasion for my hb being a fraction of a gram lower than required, despite the fact that the level did not qualify as anaemia. Now I can't give at all because they have raised the lower limit to 12.5.
There are so many obstacles now - tattoos, piercing, travelling abroad to certain countries that it is a headache just reading the form!
However, I know that it is all for safety, but compared to the old days it is certainly an awful lot different.

Quote from: poppy
(I have the 100 donation plate)

Impressive, well done  Smiley think I'm only around the 20 mark.
The thing that's irritating me about it at the moment is that it is called the National blood service, however some times I want to donate in the west midlands and other times in london, easy eh? Of course not; I have 2 different donor numbers that apparently can't be linked and when I give at one and not the other someone always rings asking me to donate at the other and then I get a lecture about just having one 'account'.
But back to the important matters, I prefer some Tuc biscuits and orange juice  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'm up to 35 donations (also registered as a bone marrow donor). I can make donations at work, the NBS turn up in a large articulated lorry (called the Bloodmobile) which although cramped is well kitted out.
My partner had major surgery a few years back during which she needed five units of blood. I would encourage everyone who can to donate as there is always a need and the tightening up of restrictions has resulted in fewer donations. I've been turned away a couple of times with low haemoglobin, apparently as a result of too much exercise in the days leading up to donation.

I agree with Strat as far as the bourbons, but only if they're dunked in tea not coffee. If you must dunk anything in coffee then try cantucci or amaretti biscuits (it's the Italian in me), but unfortunately the NBS don't provide these even in Cheltenham.
My other car isn't a Ferrari

can't believe someone with a taste for amaretti biscuits would even consider drinking the stuff they call tea and coffee  Crazy
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Glad to see that someone else has been chucked out! I was beginning to think that the BTS prototype was an asexual, big beefy rugby player who doesn't go in for travelling, tattoos or piercing.
Community Veteran

If you've been to the USA you have to wait 28 days after your return before you can give blood.  They are worried about West Nile Disease.
Back in 2001 I was in the USA and volunteered to give blood a few days after 911.  They refused to take blood from any UK citizen because of mad cow disease. They were extremely apologetic and thanked me very much for volunteering.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The NBS do the best that they can, and I'm not one to complain. A few donations back I was served tea in a proper mug rather than a plastic cup, and told I could keep it. And I watched the lady pour it from a china teapot.
@ poppy
Well done on the 100 donations. I'm not big or beefy, but I do have an ear piercing (from my student days, many years ago). I've travelled to North Africa and the Middle East, and had to miss donations as a result. Although I've never felt any ill effects from donating, I have seen slightly built male and female donors fainting on occasion, and the raising of the levels may be simply to avoid this happening. I find that if I eat more red meat and dark green vegetables in the days leading up to a donation I avoid being borderline on iron levels. Brazil nuts are also a good iron source for vegetarians, as is good quality dark chocolate! Smiley
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran

My brother lives in the South (Republic of Ireland). He moved down there in 1995. He is not allowed to give blood there because he lived here in NI during the 80's and he may have CJD!
Obviously they cannot have that rule here or across the UK as it would apply to most of the population including me and most of you I am sure!
I think this is a silly rule as I know many people who have moved from here to the Republic and indeed also from England Scotland and Wales in recent years. Surely this would be reducing the number of potential donors there.
The chance of us all having CJD is quite slim (I hope).

They screen for it in developed countries  Wink Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

That is what I thought so I asked my brother about it. He studied biomedical science and works in pharmaceuticals. There can only be definite diagnosis by analysing brain tissue after death as stated here http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/cjd.htm
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sean
My brother lives in the South (Republic of Ireland). He moved down there in 1995. He is not allowed to give blood there because he lived here in NI during the 80's and he may have CJD!

same situation if you try to give blood in the USA.  Despite their desperate need for blood at 911 they reluctantly they would not take blood from UK residents.