cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigaclear fights off PlusNet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Gigaclear fights off PlusNet

We all know PlusNet is desperate to introduce FTTP into small village communities, but it has beaten to the post by another ISP. (Gigaclear). Will this throw PN's Management team into a blind panic? Will they rush FTTP to existing loyal clientèle?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
11 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Gigaclear fights off PlusNet

win show new direction
Sound like a musical to me  Cheesy
On the other hand, only time will tell
Watch this space I suppose, but defo do not go holding your breath
nanotm
Pro

the mismatch of standards and equipment used by non BT provisions actually creates a bigger long term problem than always having BT do the infrastructure, if a single company owns and is responsible for supply/fit/maint of equipment then you get interoperability at a much larger scale, however as the whole fiasco surrounding the 7 different cable companies showed, they will opt for messy cheap low grade equipment in order to cut costs which then cannot be upgraded without massive additional expenditure to bring the sub standard fittings into line.
whilst the ageing infrastructure of copper or aluminium lines is up to 100 years old (in some areas) it still performs to the required standards so even as newer technology is rolled out with a better interface unit (like a higher speed optical interface for the next gen of fibre) the none standard stuff has the be completely replaced owing to it being of substandard quality,
whilst competition only ever serves to increase prices to the consumer and stifle connectivity options (sky for instance is still the only company that carries certain TV channels yet they allow full online access for sky customers and refuse other iptv carriers the ability to link to there product) soon there will be serious price wars and certain large companies will end up bust
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Serious price wars? Like all privatised industries, the players act as a Cartel. Including PlusNet.
If I was our nation's dictator, I would implement a national data infrastructure initiative which, sees copper replaced everywhere with fibre. In otherwords, a tear-down rebuild to give universal FTTP. A central data-infrastructure company would then lease lines to service providers.
From what I understand of FTTC, there are both fibres and copper going from the exchange to the street cabinet. Thus, some people are on full copper and others on FTTC. Why not just say, if the cabinet is FTTC-able, then everyone is converted to FTTC regardless. Thus miles of copper and aluminium cables are removed and, everyone gets higher speed broadband. But it would seem that in my area, if you want higher speeds you have to go to Virgin which, is another fudge of copper technologies.
nanotm
Pro

I agree with the sentiments however I would revise the policy slightly and lay down fibre in addition to the copper,
fibre become opaque to light when in the presence of ionising radiation so whilst data tech can all be migrated away to purely fibre telecoms would need to remain on copper (with police/military /nhs retaining a copper based connectivity) effectively isolating state services from the wider internet whilst utilising similar networking technology that cannt be damaged by a radon or xenon escape from the earths crust ......
in certain areas BT worked out it would cork out cheaper to rout the fibre 50 miles out of the way just to avoid a known radon hot spot (after the newly installed fibre went opaque to light in under 3 weeks resulting in a total comms loss for the affected village) or stick with copper .......
to be honest what we actually need is single state groups in charge of infrastructure and services of such key nature, back when things were state owned they at least worked and everyone got the same level of service for the same price, the poor sods on the other side of my street pay £2 a month more for line rental than I do because they have a telegraph pole with drop wires feeding them (that gets hit about once a month) yet my service is all underground .......a few decades ago BT would of been free to put those wires underground instead of banned from doing so through planning opposition.....
WTF
Grafter

Fibre?
Jeez, you guys are so old school: the NYSE is putting in a LASER network that communicates at the speed of light (the glass in fribre slows the light way down, apparently).
TORPC
Grafter

@WTF
It is all for the StockMarket
NOT the Consumer Market
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/176551-new-laser-network-between-nyse-and-nasdaq-will-allow-high-...
High-frequency trading — the practice of making thousands of algorithmic stock trades per minute — is about to get a big boost in the USA.
Devonian
Grafter

Laser... so what if I pop a mirror or 2 in mid way? Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Make sure the mirror can not be accidentally positioned by mother nature etc in the direction of Aircraft as it then becomes a legal issue
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: TORPC
It is all for the StockMarket
NOT the Consumer Market

For now - I heard an interview on R4 with the CEO of the company building NYSE solution the other day and he was extremely keen to push the technology as a basic infrastructure solution, particularly for developing countries: don't spend a fortune putting in glass or copper, instead drop in a few masts with lasers and .. badabing (not sure if he was from NJ, but that essentially was his message).
nanotm
Pro

laser networking isn't new but its totally insecure and suffers really badly from E.M.I.
oh and anyone with a couple of magnets and two mirrors can stripe the signal without the interlude being detectable through the connection security variable
laser also looses more signal strength and suffers greater wavelength variation though atmospheric effects making it intrinsically slower (smaller bandwidth) than fibre based solution (where the transmission medium retains the same density so your not loosing connection as the reception frequency keeps changing)
and I wont say how easy it is to completely balls up the connections of laser based systems with certain substances being within a few feet of them .....

Community Veteran

Inter-building Laser links have been around for ages and are often dual beam to avoid pigeon interruption problems.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.