cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig Reviews

SRD
Grafter

Gig Reviews

Chris Wood & Hugh Lupton - Psalms from the Horses Mouth.
Salberg Studio at Salisbury Playhouse
28th May 2010
An excellent evening of storytelling, song and music from Chris Wood and Hugh Lupton based around the myth, folklore and truth surrounding Man's relationship with Horse.  (It might be worth checking the programme they are presenting though as Hugh's website says that last night's programme was due to be ‘On Common Ground, the Enclosure of John Clare’.)
Simply done with Chris's easy fiddle playing weaving a background to Hugh's lovely stories interspersed with songs and tunes.  I especially loved the eulogy to Jenny Wing and the Navajo story of how the horse came to earth.  There are laughs as well with the tale of a brandy loving parson and Chris' dry humour making his points as cleanly as if the bow he wields is a rapier in the hands of a master swordsman.
Audience participation is a must with answers to riddles demanded and given (although I got the one about 30 white horses on a red hill wrong, I gave the answer my grandfather gave me; that it referred to horse chestnut flowers dancing in the wind, but the real answer of teeth is so much more obviously correct) and choruses to a couple of songs to be sung.
Altogether an evening well spent, the time flew by; over two hours including the interval, and one we will readily reprise whenever they are back in our area.