cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gibraltar

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Gibraltar

I realise there are strategic reasons why the UK wants to remain in Gibraltar. I don't really have any feelings about it.
But, I wonder how we would feel if a foreign power however friendly in all other respects claimed sovereignty over the Isle-of-Whight. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Gibraltar

Gibraltar is a "mini england, in the sun" .... The people who live there are very pro-british, as are the people of the Falkland islands.... Although I am not sure, but I think there is some sort of "genteleman`s agreement, between the spanish government, and the british government, that it will remain "british" as long as the people want it to.... it is economically advantageous to Spain for it to be british too. !...
Community Veteran

Yes there was an agreement for it to remain British so long as the residents want it to.  Every now and then the Spanish flex their muscles and cause delays at the border and also menacingly patrol the waters. That's the Spanish for you Roll eyes
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew
But, I wonder how we would feel if a foreign power however friendly in all other respects claimed sovereignty over the Isle-of-Whight. 

If Spain is claiming Gibraltar simply because it is adjacent to Spain and remote from Britain then by the same logic it should cede some of its own territories.
"Spanish territory also includes the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean, the Canary Islands in the Atlantic Ocean off the African coast, and two autonomous cities in North Africa, Ceuta and Melilla, that border Morocco, plus Alborán, Chafarinas Islands, Alhucemas, Vélez de la Gomera and other small islets including Perejil. Furthermore, the town of Llívia is a Spanish exclave situated inside French territory. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain
Community Veteran

Having spent some time in Gibraltar, it seems the locals are more proud of being British than the Mainland British are.
Union Jacks are flown everywhere and without fear of recrimination. The place feels a bit run down but pretty chilled out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There`s something on "News at Ten" ITV 22:00 tonight about holdups at the border 
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There's probably some profitable smuggling scams going on.

Community Veteran

This was the scene at the crossing at the weekend when Spain started checking all vehicles.
Border Check