cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gibraltar & the EU

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gibraltar & the EU

If the UK should come out of the EU Gibraltar  might find that Spain closes the border between the two countries, there is already considerable tension between Mainland Spain and the Rock, this could be the excuse for Spain to take it over as there is much sympathy from a number of EU countries for Spain's claim that is should belong to them.
One odd solution is that Gibraltar might opt to remain in the EU but it is debatable if they could  do this if the UK opted to come out.
Be interesting to know what thoughts the majority of residents in Gibraltar think but I doubt we have any on the forum
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Gibraltar & the EU

Interesting point !....

IF... UK exits the E.U...  and Gib has to exit also... ( because they cannot meet the financial and economic parameters for membership )... then Spain makes a move to "reclaim" Gib.... ( with some E.U. countries backing them up on their "claim".... would the U.K.  then be at war with Spain, and Europe... to defend the Gibraltarians?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

thus giving Morocco a claim on Ceuta and Melilla.................keep the lawyers busy for a few years.
Community Veteran

An interesting point but I cannot see the UK exiting the EU.
Community Veteran

Can you honestly see the majority voting to leave the EU when it's pointed out that it would mean the end of the ability to bring back booze and fags from their EU holiday trips?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I cannot see the UK exiting the EU.

I'm going to stick my neck out here, I cannot see any overall benefit in the UK exiting the EU.  There are issues (human rights as an example) but I think the ECtHR is not always correct in it's judgement s.
I've no problem with immigration to the UK for work purposes, most of the UK fruit and veg farms would not be viable concerns without an eastern European workforce.  Exiting Europe would just drive the fruit farms into Eastern  Europe.
What would help the economy is cash earned in the UK, should wherever possible be spent in the UK and not shipped back overseas.
I don't see how this could be achieved, but DC's 'gun to the head' approach is not getting  us anywhere
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
There are issues (human rights as an example) but I think the ECtHR is not always correct in it's judgement s.

Oh dear, another myth being repeated  Cry .......................................
There is, as has been stated ENDLESSLY, ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THE ECHR and the EU.   Cry
The UK was a founder of the ECHR way before the EU (or it's predecessors) existed.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights
Otherwise, I agree with your analysis of UK being in the EU.  Wink
(And I think the EU makes being a party to the ECHR a pre-condition of EU membership)
Community Veteran

The UK successfully gave Hong Kong back to China with protection of individual rights. Gibraltar could suffer enjoy the same opportunity. I'm sure Spain needs another restive region at the moment.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The UK successfully gave Hong Kong back to China with protection of individual rights.

Which the Chinese are currently doing their best to remove.......  Shocked
dick:green Quote fixed.
nadger
Rising Star

An important thing to remember about Gib
Although Gibraltar is part of the EU, it is outside
the Community Customs territory. The customs
allowances for outside the EU therefore apply.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: journeys
There are issues (human rights as an example) but I think the ECtHR is not always correct in it's judgement s.

Oh dear, another myth being repeated  Cry .......................................
There is, as has been stated ENDLESSLY, ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THE ECHR and the EU.   Cry
The UK was a founder of the ECHR way before the EU (or it's predecessors) existed.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights
Otherwise, I agree with your analysis of UK being in the EU.  Wink
(And I think the EU makes being a party to the ECHR a pre-condition of EU membership)
Whilst you correctly state there is no connection between the ECHR and the EU you also say that a pre-condition to membership includes membership of the ECHR so some might argue that whilst there is no connection in reality there is in fact a link.
Community Veteran

A link that is of course TOTALLY irrelevant to the usual arguments made in relation to leaving the EU.
We are in the ECHR because we chose to join, decades ago. Leaving the EU would make NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER to that.
People who argue otherwise are, to put it bluntly, deluded and illogical, especially when they blame the EU for ECHR decisions. They need to be informed of the reality, though most seem to refuse to listen  Cry
This misinformation has reached the status of a self-fulfilling truth even though it is a compete lie, as are many things propagated across the internet. If I see it stated I just point out how totally wrong it is, in the vain hope of educating at least one misinformed person.
Community Veteran

But it would make a difference, if we left the EU then we could have our own bill of human rights.
I fully accept we were one of the first to set it up after the last war but those who originally set it up never envisaged it would be abused to the extent it has been.
The ECHR has input from a number of countries  whereas  the UK with it's own bill of human rights  would be able to prevent many of the abuses that the ECHR  appears unable to prevent.
itsme
Grafter

Hit head against wall
Community Veteran

? Who's head.