cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gibraltar Airport

Fixes: 47

Gibraltar Airport

I've just received an item I ordered from Amazon and noticed the return address was in Gibraltar.
I therefore went on Google maps and attempted to find the sending company.
While browsing around I noticed a 4 lane dual carriageway apparently running across the middle of the airport runway.
No doubt there are appropriate negotiations between the various means of transport as to which have priority Undecided
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.1486784,-5.3471883,1817m/data=!3m1!1e3
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Gibraltar Airport

When I had a return flight from Gibraltar I was more worried that some plonker throwing rubbish out of the car when they were crossing the runway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Imagine the car insurance claim. "I errm.  .. had to have the roof of my car fixed to remove the 737 tyre imprint..."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

My family have a property on Gibraltar - lovely place but a bit like stepping back in time.
The runway is very short. Gibraltar can be very windy. Not a good combination. If it is too windy, the plane will divert to Spain and you have to get a bus back to Gibraltar - anywhere between a couple of hours and half a day depending on what the Spanish customs are up to.
We flew in a year or so ago and it was incredibly gusty. The pilot came in banking sharply and almost sideways before slamming the plane onto the runway. I was sitting next to a native Gibraltarian who I'd chatted to and he went very pale ! It was the worst landing any of them had experienced and they didn't think we were going to make it.
The pilot appeared to see the passengers off the plane and I jokingly said I'd seen worse on Youtube. His reply was "it was a good job you didn't see it from the cockpit !"
I've also walked across the runway which you need to do to get to the airport - you are given the green light to make a run for it by the security on either side Smiley
Fixes: 124

As long as the Sat-Nav doesn't tell you to make a left turn Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

...... or a right turn.
Either way you'd get wet after a few hundred metres Wink
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Monarch took us to the rock before and pilot warned that the landing could be rough as mentioned due to winds.
We came in and plane came in quite slow and touched down pretty hard.  They did apologise and informed us that this was normal due to location.
When we headed bak to the UK, the flaps were down more than usual and pilot and parking brake on and did a pocket take off - you go full speed with parking brake and then you release.  This made the plane feel like a F1 car!  We did take off and had a steep bank up.
I've never walked on a runway before and had a chance at Gibraltar.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up