cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the message?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Getting the message?

Ok it's no secret around here that I'm a railway fan and also a fan of British Rail and Network SouthEast...
Over the past few months, there seems to have been an increase in the amount of train related stuff going on. More railway programs on TV and more other railway stuff in the media.
Last month (or the one before?) Prince Charles and his mistress travelled on the tube for the first time since the donosaurs. Today the Queen has taken a trip on it with her fella and her daughter in law (hell of a shopping trip eh?).
Add to that BRBR (formerly BR) have now had their closing down date delayed until September. They were supposed to get canned at the end of this monthby the tories who have been trying to destroy them for years but are now prolonging their lifespan..
I have to ask.. Do you think they're slowly getting the message?
(I take full credit with my sig of course  Cheesy )
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Getting the message?

Personally I wish time could go back a bit. No ghost town stations, toilets, a proper ticket office.
Too crowded and certainly too expensive at the moment. I wish it wasn't.
Kids grow up without the magic of standing on the bridge as the steam express train thundered under their feet and are left gasping in the smoke and steam. I never got tired of that.
Trains seem to be moving in the direction of more faster and more expensive when I would like to see more regular services and cheaper. For the price of the high speed link I would have rather seen some in demand local/old routes re-opened.
But, as you say, with railways more in the limelight things do look like they may be taking a turn for the better.
donosaurs = kebab eating dinosaurs? Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: Sprite
Prince Charles and his mistress travelled on the tube for the first time since the donosaurs. Today the Queen has taken a trip on it with her fella and her daughter in law (hell of a shopping trip eh?).
Please tell us who is his mistress since he married Camilla in 2005
Community Veteran

You know what I mean OJ..  Tongue
Community Veteran

Amazing what goes on in the background to keep trains running, never really thought about it before but some of the recent television programs have increased my awareness.
One example was the number of people who worked outdoors in all weathers on the track to either repair or keep thing going. Some guys working during the night in the more remote parts of Scotland were putting stuff on the track to make sure train wheels could grip in icy conditions....... They must have been b....y freezing !
Even those working in maintenance sheds were working on some of the older trains which discharged contents of the lavatory direct on to the track, needles to say a lot of this stuck to the underside of the train..... hardly a nice environment to be working in.
Fixes: 47

I watched that program and found it very interesting....and a bit gory in parts.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Even Meridian News is running a big railways item now.
Railways definitely seem to be flavour of the month.
And
The Telegraph and redspottedhanky are giving away £10 train travel e-vouchers which you can use to go anywhere in the UK. There is no minimum spend. You can travel on any rail network to any destination, for single or return journeys. Follow the instructions in the The Sunday Telegraph (news-stand price £2) on Sunday, March 24th, 2013 to receive your £10 e-voucher. The e-vouchers are available on a first come, first served basis, so make sure you are quick to claim yours on the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/promotions/9930444/save-money-train-travel.html
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Even Meridian News is running a big railways item now.
Railways definitely seem to be flavour of the month.

Yes I saw that on Meridian Tonight last night. I think it's going on all week but I've missed all the others including tonights  Cry
You're right though, railways do seem to be getting more and more popular with the nation again. Shame they don't do any of the big stuff now that BR used to proudly achieve.
Community Veteran

It's a big railway enthusiasts event on Saturday!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

OhHuh You talking about Kents big day out?
Fixes: 125

Some of the events are very close to me - shame I've got too much on this weekend.
I do like the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I do like the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway.

I went on that about 3 or 4 years ago while visiting the area (it wasn't really planned, the four of us just sort of drifted on to it lol). There is also TWO old full size disused railway lines there. One went to the dungeness light house (partial remains of the platform building are still there - along with sleepers up the track) before swinging round and the earlier one went round where the airport is before both headed for Greatstone I think. Fascinating area if you ever get the chance and there are still bits of railway (sleepers and rail segments) scattered around there on the old dungeness line.
Community Veteran

OhHuh You talking about Kents big day out?

No! Over 20 years work and several million pounds culminating in this.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

OOOhhhhh I must get to that one day!
I remember hearing last year that they reckoned it would be finished in "a weeks time" then a few months later the same thing and now it's finally open eh? 'bout bl**dy time! They've done an incredible job reopening that.. I read somewhere that they had to shift 90,000 tons of buried domestic waste that had been dumped in those cuttings to earn BR some money moons ago. That was quite common when they were closing down lines - there is a tunnel near me that has its cutting at the other end infilled with trash. Terrible shame really but this just proves that they CAN be reopened.
Can't wait to go and see the BB at some point!
Fixes: 125

...Greatstone I think. Fascinating area if you ever get the chance

And some lovely beaches at both Greatstone and Littlestone.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still