Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting steamed up?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Getting steamed up?

Because of Covid of course, face masks look set to become compulsory - at least in the short term, but for those that have to wear glasses all the time like my Mrs they can steam up.

Solution? Washing up solution!

She just washed them out in soapy water and allowed her glasses to dry naturally and hey presto. Clear as a bell even when wearning that mask when out shopping. It was a trick she remembered from her Dad who would wash down the windows of his cafe with the said soapy water to stop them steaming up.  

Sorry if I'm teaching any grannies around here to suck eggs. 😀 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Getting steamed up?

Good 'solution'😉, @Minivanman . Must admit I could never quite work out why my specs seemed to stay stem/smear-free for longer after they had a warm wash.

John
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I decided to use a snood instead of a mask (Go North East say snoods are accepted as a form of mask on their buses, given they're only there to capture any coughs & sneezes), and it actually works better to not steam up my specs, only trouble is, I look like a terrorist wearing it... 🤣

The helmet and sunglasses probably don't help matters either... 😁

"You in't seen me, right?""You in't seen me, right?"

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

For goodness sake @twocvbloke just don't go into a Bank dressed like that. Cheesy

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Good point, @Mook 😃

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

What's a bank?

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

@Mook wrote:

For goodness sake @twocvbloke just don't go into a Bank dressed like that. Cheesy

Last time I went to the bank was to deposit my Plusnet reward cheque, only to find out I could have just taken a picture of it with their app and deposited it that way... 🤣

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Had to go for a eye test last week....

Compulsory to wear a face mask....

Can you read the lines on the chart.....

No because my glasses have steamed up.

@Minivanman could have done with that tip of yours before I went.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles Also went for an eyetest last week ,optician told me to pull the mask below my nose when doing eyetest so as not to steam up lenses.Thumbs_Up

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

There is a periodic automatic announcement on London buses regarding the wearing of masks, and it points out that there may be medical reasons why some people are not wearing masks.

I've seen some rather odd behaviour, e.g. a passenger came upstairs on the bus carrying his mask, then sanitised his hands and puts the mask on, another one came up carrying his mask and only put it on after he had sat down.  This goes against the guidelines, and the rule for buses, trains etc. is that you must be wearing a mask before you board.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Seems like the compulsory wearing of face masks might also be getting folks all steamed up.

So where are we now.

Scotland compulsory, England maybe, Wales err... and Northern Island no idea. Guess we will have to wait and see what fines if any they are going to apply and more importantly, how the powers that be are going to police it.

Talking of which Kent police issued a picture of a mask wearing crime suspect they would like to interview. Best of luck with that, they are going to need it. 

Meanwhile, buzzing away behind her sewing machine Mrs Minivanman is busy making them which I will refuse to wear unless they match my socks. Got to maintain standards if nothing else. 

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Meanwhile, buzzing away behind her sewing machine Mrs Minivanman is busy making them which I will refuse to wear unless they match my socks. Got to maintain standards if nothing else. 

Well if you got the Red (left) and Green (right) socks discussed here then Blue would seem to be an appropriate colour, thus making RGB for an ex-TV repair man!

Jonpe
Hero

Blue is too reminiscent of the blue channel at customs when coming from another EU country.

I think masks would have become compulsory early on in the pandemic had it not been for the lack of availability.  Hospitals, care homes, ambulances etc. had to be supplied first.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Personally I don't think masks would have become compulsory early on, as the virus was (and still somewhat is) not understood fully in how it was transmitted and how it affected people, granted now we know that it's more likely to spread through the coughs and sneezes from people, hence why face coverings of any type are a good idea when amongst other people, but as we already know, they only help to stop the spreading, if someone with an asymptomatic or even mild infection was out and about mask-less, people wearing the masks are still at risk, but that's why we should all wear them when in close-quarters...

But still, being a hermit myself, I'm staying clear of people for the most part, only when I go to tesco do I come across others, but I keep my distance from them, but I did that anyway cos I just don't like being near people... 😂

Jonpe
Hero

Met two young men on the footpath in the park today and they made no attempt at distancing themselves from me, and as we passed each other I heard one of them say that he'd been tested and found to have antibodies.  He may not have been talking about COVID-19, but I don't think we know yet whether someone who has had an asymptomatic version of the disease is still able to pass on the virus.