cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting really fed up now :-/ (Freeview again)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Getting really fed up now :-/ (Freeview again)

So there we were watching TV last night and suddenly it all goes garbled. The missus did a retune and subsequently erased quite a few channels from the TV. Meanwhile the existing few that were working last night have also gone garbled including the BBC. Don't get done get Dom has got done. BBC news on BBC2 is BBC garbled and ITV is Independently Trashed Viewing.
How much more of this **** have we got to suffer now? We've lost our once reliable uninterrupted TV channels to a bunch of digital tripe that isn't fit for purpose. Most times a retune sorts it but no.. not this time. Now a retune fixes nothing because apparently garbling our TV channels isn't a big deal like it once was  Crazy
This is utter madness.
/rant.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Getting really fed up now :-/ (Freeview again)

I get the occasional breakup on BBC1 but unsurprisingly the shopping channels can be rock solid.
I'm seriously thinking of using my Freesat a lot more as it's more reliable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Freesat is our main source of TV! We have Freeview in the bedroom (no pun intended) and it's usually fine!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 47

Grin....sorry but you said it Lips are sealed
The next TV I buy will have Freesat as it's default tuner.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Now I've had a fair amount of experience with digital TV as I have built and use my own 6 tuner distribution system in the house.
Garbled television is usually one of the two following reasons :
1. Poor signal
2. Poor quality signal
The reason for number 1 is usually water in aerial wiring, misaligned aerial or obstruction of the signal such as trees/woodland. Kinked coax cable or frayed coax into the plug can also cause issues. Weather is another cause of reception issues.
The reason for number 2 is usually reflections from foreign objects causing delayed "ghosting" of the digital signal or more often faulty electronic / electrical appliances emitting radio interference either when they turn on or off (momentary loss of signal) or continuous interference (DECT phones and certain other equipment can cause this).
Another issue is when you live in an area which will pick up two transmitters - often the box will tune to the wrong transmitter and you'll end up with a much weaker signal.
I had a problem once where the whole of my setup had issues with garbled reception - it took me days to work it out but it was all down to operating a desktop PC without its side panel attached. The amount of emi generated by the motherboard was corrupting the signal to my DVB-T receivers.
Community Veteran

I have no problem with my Freeview.  Since the recent re-tuning it's been rock solid and I can even get a TV in one of the bedrooms to work well on an internal aerial.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Following on from what picbit said, what kind of aerial do you have? If you still have the old type that was used with uhf broadcasts pre-freeview then that might be part of the problem. You need one like in the attachment ideally.
The problem is that all transmitters' output power was reduced dramatically when digital was introduced. I'm on Sutton Coldfield, and that went from a 1 megawatt output down to (I think) 100 kilowatts. The idea is that with digital the signal pickup is more precise (ie the tuner will only "see" that precise digital multiplex, whereas an analogue tuner is more "fuzzy"), but if you are still using the old-type aerials you will suffer, because firstly the transmitter power has gone down so much, and secondly the transmitter broadcast frequency has changed. High gain aerials are properly tuned for the precise frequencies involved.
pwatson
Rising Star

To the OP - as you've found out, retuning during a period of degraded performance is the wrong thing to do!  If it suddenly changes it almost certainly to do with interference or a fault.  Trying to tune the TV in while the signal is degraded will fail...
To Nozzer - Nonsense (mainly!).  Some transmitters have changed groups during the switchover of digital TV and local publicity will have made that clear.  The multiplex powers do vary and there may, in some circumstances, be a need to have a higher gain aerial but, in the main, the powers have been set to allow the same coverage that was provided by analogue.  A blanket 'you need a new aerial' is not good advice!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hi all
Well it seems I was wrong and freeview was not at fault for once. After unplugging everything else, moving wires round behind the TV etc and still not getting anywhere I went round the neighbours asking them if they were affected. None were. This led me to think it's either the TV or the connection to the aerial. TV is only 3 years old (though it has had issues in the past) but I suddenly remembered that behind the sofa is where the aerial wire plugs into the wall. Sure enough I had a look down behind there and it was almost about to fall out. Pushed it back in and the TV is working  Lips are sealed
Got there eventually lol. Trouble is with all the freeview retunes that have happened in the past it's easy to think they're at fault again. I 'fess up, I got it wrong!  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Don't worry about that - at least it was easy to fix unlike the time when mine stopped working and I had to get at the 8 way amplifier in the loft.
Doesn't sound too difficult does it - Ha  Angry
I have what is loosely termed a semi bungalow so to get at it I had to remove the rubbish - correction the better half under eaves storage - then shuffle along on my back to the end near the chimney then turn round in the hole next to it and only then could I get at it to bypass the amplifier to see if that was the problem - it was once so I managed to get it repaired as the manufacturer was still in business - but it wasn't this time. It was down to atmospherics causing major interference from various other stations including those in France.
Fortunately since the retune and a massive increase in power from Rowridge that hasn't been a problem
Devonian
Grafter

Sprite... I forgive you.  Grin
I am on Freesat, which is perfect, except for bbc1HD.  That breaks up all the time, and I have no idea why! It broke up via my old Freesat Humax box, and now through the new enabled TV.
And it's not the dish either.
I can't even watch BBC1HD via Freeview, as I live down in a valley, and can't pick up a signal.
Strangely enough, I could pick up the old signal, but since switch over, neither me or the neighbours can pick up Freeview.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pwatson
To the OP - as you've found out, retuning during a period of degraded performance is the wrong thing to do!  If it suddenly changes it almost certainly to do with interference or a fault.  Trying to tune the TV in while the signal is degraded will fail...
To Nozzer - Nonsense (mainly!).  Some transmitters have changed groups during the switchover of digital TV and local publicity will have made that clear.  The multiplex powers do vary and there may, in some circumstances, be a need to have a higher gain aerial but, in the main, the powers have been set to allow the same coverage that was provided by analogue.  A blanket 'you need a new aerial' is not good advice!

What I actually said was that it "might be part of the problem"  because I don't know where he lives and what kind of signal he has. I totally agree with what you said, but if the reception is dodgy then any external source of interference (such as the local taxi company's vhf) will affect it more than a strong signal. I really didn't have the time or the inclination to go into a great diatribe!