Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting old... and being told.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Getting old... and being told.

Being offered a seat on the London underground on my way to the airport a couple of years back was the start, now my daughter has told me that the van hire company has told her that the Luton she wanted me to drive to help her move home next weekend cannot be rented out to her... as being over seventy I am considered too old to drive it.

Blimey, Biden in America can start can start a nuclear war but I'm not safe enough to drive a small truck.

Ah well, at least I'll not be having to lift washing machines, fridges and cookers around! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
42 REPLIES 42
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Getting old... and being told.

Blame the insurance industry, @Minivanman , it's them that set the rules as part of their 'deal' with the hire company.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Yeh, I sort of guessed that would be the reason.

Still pains a bit though.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I used to hate it in my twenties and being asked my age in pubs.

Now I kinda miss that.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Being offered a seat on the London underground

You were lucky, when my mother (77 at the time) and I travelled on the Underground about ten years ago, no-one offered her a seat, not even the ones in the seats with notices suggesting they be offered to those "less able to stand".  Having said that, a girl of about 13 or so offered me her seat on the Underground when I was in my late 20s.  I thought I'd better accept or she'd never offer her seat to anyone again.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Jonpe How many years ago was that, though? Common courtesy is very sadly lacking these days.

The Underground incident is not surprising - without being rude to Londoners in general, they do have a tendency to live in their one-person 'bubble' - especially on public transport.

John
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Following a serious illness a few years ago I was reduced to using a walking stick. I insisted on using the NHS supplied one so as other people would know I had a walking & stability problem. Being obstinate I still used the Underground.

During the 6 six years using the aid I had only two offers of a seat. The first was a Lady who said I could have her seat when she got off at Euston. I would get on at Bank and off at King's Cross, any who uses the Northern Line will know Euston is the stop beyond King's Cross. The second was a young girl who offered her seat, the carriage was packed and uncomfortable so I thanked her but said she would be safer staying where she was. On the busy buses I would stand in front of the seats that should be offered to people unable to stand for what ever reason.  I would stare for several seconds at each of the occupants who could have given up their seats, every one of them would turn and look out of the window. I had fun though, when I wanted to cause mayhem I knew where to place the stick for the best effect.....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

In my case it was not even a Londoner, but someone who I would guess at being either Rumanian or Polish going by his accent. 

Just goes to show eh?

Anyway I shook his hand to thank him and to say that was the first time in all my years that anybody had offered me their seat. There were a few rather sheepish looks from the other passengers but we had a good laugh about it between us. 

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet As you know, standard London commuter behaviour. I certainly don't see it to the same degree when on my travels in the other parts of the country, although it does happen at school chucking-out time. When I used to have to catch school-time buses, I had to regularly ask the 'students' to allow an older person a seat - and to move out of the front bay of the bus so others could find the unoccupied seats further back.

John
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@jab1 

In my case it was not even a Londoner, but someone who I would guess at being either Rumanian or Polish going by his accent. 

Just goes to show eh?

Anyway I shook his hand to thank him and to say that was the first time in all my years that anybody had offered me their seat. There were a few rather sheepish looks from the other passengers but we had a good laugh about it between us. 

I find Polish people to be extremely considerate/helpful. We have a fair number of them in Sheffield, and due to circumstances I know quite a few - always ready to help.

John
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@jab1 wrote:

@Jonpe How many years ago was that, though?

Londoners in general, they do have a tendency to live in their one-person 'bubble'

It was in the early 80s but it was in Chelsea, I was travelling from Sloane Square to change at Victoria so only a two-minute journey or so.

The 'bubble' has become even more impenetrable after the introduction of the mobile phone.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There's no doubt that the coming of the mobile phone has been a godsend to nutters who talk to themselves and to those who like to ignore everyone but don't want to appear plain ignorant.

salmo
Rising Star

On my first trip on the London underground when I was in my early 50s a lady gave up her seat for me. It made me feel old but didn't want to insult her by refusing and instead said thank you. We got talking and she was from The West Indies visiting relatives in London.

In the early 60s, when I was in my early teens, I boarded a bus  to go to the local hospital to visit my father. I was travelling with my mother , The bus was full and I gave up my seat to a woman in her 40s.The conductor got on and decided that too many people were standing and proceeded  to tell me and a couple of other people to get off the bus. My mother and I protested that I had just given up my seat but the woman just sat there with a smug grin on her face. We had to wait in the cold for the next bus 20 minutes later. I learnt my lesson and did not give my seat up again until after the bus had set off.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Dozy conductor - he should have been monitoring the numbers before that situation could occur.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Yep, and I'd have taken his number as well.

Do they still wear those badges these days on what was for me back then London Transport? I don't think they do.