cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting lost in Milton Keynes

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Getting lost in Milton Keynes

There have been calls for better signs in Milton Keynes after a survey revealed more than half its visitors had problems finding their way.
A local "Advisor"  David Lock Town Planner, said there are too many road signs it will do them good to stop and ask the way  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Report and video http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7667726.stm
20 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Getting lost in Milton Keynes

As a resident of said town (though must point out I was born in London and spent a good while in Yorkshire where I will be moving back to if I can ever)
The roads, houses etc look exactly the same so you can easily get lost.
If you are reading this and thinking of moving here.....DON'T, really there are loads of nicer places with nicer people so PLEASE DON'T DO IT
Yes supposedly you can get more house for your money here but thats about all thats going for it.
Soon as I can get a deposit together for a house somewhere I'm getting out.
The reality is far worse than any joke you will hear, the place and the born and bred residents are the pits,
Sorry but it has to be said.

timlake
Grafter

I live in Bedford so MK is very close and I have friends etc there so know it pretty well.  I have to say it is easy to navigate if:
a) You have SatNav, the grid system makes it easy for the sat nav to plan a route quickly
b) You know exactly which H and V roads you need
You cannot use the signs or landmarks though cos they are poo/non-existant!
nadger
Rising Star

Best thing about Milton Keynes is the new Stoke Hammond bypass which means we can escape back to Linslade more rapidly  Smiley
Wish they'd stop calling it the New City - it's not a city but I suppose it'll eventually get so large they'll have to  give it the status.
Two most memorable things are the roundabouts and the concrete cows.
Overall it's a terrible place to drive round but at least I can find IKEA  Cool
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Overall it's a terrible place to drive round but at least I can find IKEA  Cool

ahh, but technically IKEA is in Bletchley Tongue
timlake
Grafter

And used to be Sanctuary, an awesome warehouse club that hosted some epic raves  Crazy
Did anyone see the recent 3-minute rave in memory of The Sanctuary held in Ikea?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: nadger

Best thing about Milton Keynes is the new Stoke Hammond bypass which means we can escape back to Linslade more rapidly  Smiley

Great piece of road, and not many seem to know its there!! regularly use it between Hemel Hempstead and Towcester in favour of the M1.
Eldest son lives in MK (Kents Hill) have to say I agree about driving round it, can get very confusing. Very briefly drove buses round MK.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

I am lucky!
I have never been to Milton Keynes - therefore I have never got lost there! Grin
nadger
Rising Star

I remember when it was just a little village - at the rate it's grown at over the past 40+ years it'll end up getting you in the end  Sad
cp:quote
N/A

I have been to Milton Keynes but once and never ever want to go back there as it holds less than happy memories.
Quote from: techguy
As a resident of said town (though must point out I was born in London and spent a good while in Yorkshire where I will be moving back to if I can ever)

Nice to see that techguy has the right idea anyway!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've never knowingly been anywhere near MK, but it sounds even worse than Redditch.  Shocked
Can anyone who knows both places confirm that?
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@4candles, doubt if there are many from MK who know Redditch, they'll still be trying to find their way out of MK.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I didn't get lost last time I visited MK -  Wink
I passed through by boat on the Grand Union canal, and there are no junctions, roundabouts on that  Cheesy
And Reddich has the Worcester & Birmingham canal nearby - so I know  Tardebigge too  Wink
techguy
Grafter

@Nadger
All of the cabbies in MK think because you are young you want to listen to the dire local radio station, Horizon (am a talksport listener myself) who play the same four songs over and over again with jingles about it being the best new City
Now Her Majesty didn't agree and so the council got really miffed and are trying to swallow up the surrounding areas now so perhaps it should be called the great black hole
@timlake
I think it shows the mentality of people round here whrn they think they can stage a memorial rave in Ikea, I do like my Trance but I wouldn't class the Sanctuary as awesome unless you had taken something prohibited by law or were too drunk to care, from what I've heard the Hacienda in Manchester was much better
For all of you that have never been anywhere near this errm (trying to think of word that won't be censored or cause offence) good for you, I'd advise putting your foot down when passing J14 actually as there's nothing to see here.
If you have relatives here, try talking them into leaving, I know my mood immediately lifts whenever I leave the place (not often enough these days as I have to live and work here) and am sure theirs will too.
In fact, I'd love to see the place completely bulldozed and returned to fields, written off as a failed experiment, I've never been to Redditch so can't comment but if its a carbon copy of MK it must be one awful place.
Here's hoping I win the lottery soon.

nadger
Rising Star

Unfortunately we don't have much choice about travelling thro' MK  Cry
If we want to go " up North" to see family in Yorkshire it has to be Junction 14 but we can, at least, skirt round past Kingston.
Collecting from temporary Coachway means going thro' centre.
I did go regularly to MK Linux Users Group when they met at Open Uni  Cool