cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Driving Licence On Line

nadger
Rising Star

Getting Driving Licence On Line

As more mature members will know one has to renew one's driving licence every 3 years after the age of 70.
Got my paperwork in this mornings post so, for the first time, completed renewal on line.
One has to register with Government Gateway and they also wanted one's passport number so I guess this will also be used to eventually access other services.
Still need to cut old driving licence, and paper counterfoil, in half and return to Swansea.
18 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Getting Driving Licence On Line

Quote from: nadger
Still need to cut old driving licence, and paper counterfoil, in half and return to Swansea.

Why as surely these have an expiry date printed on them. It seem strange that you have to return these but with a passport the old will is returned to you, admittedly with one corner missing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What if your passport has expired and, have no intent to renew it. Will a passport of any age suffice? or must it be current?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Do you also need some form from your local GP to say your health is ok for you to continue driving after 70.
Also do you need to pay for a licence renewal every 3 years ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont need anything from any body, you self certify, dam stupid as far as I an concerned, and Yes i have got one
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is it free ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got me thinking now yes I think so renew after three years is
If you renew via the tinternet, what do you do about the photo? and the signature?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all the info is here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086
it is free
you only need the passport, or other identify if renewing a paper licence
Fixes: 125

I changed my address on both paper and photocard last November. Very easy to do and simply sent my old licence back once the new one was received.
I've wondered what would happen if you never sent the old one back. After all, you could claim you sen it 1st class and it was lost.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just looked at the photo requirements - it must be taken in the previous month so I need to get another photo taken every time.
I was hoping to use the one from my passport which was only renewed last year
nadger
Rising Star

When I renewed licence at 73 they used original photo and no mention of photo this time either.
Actual link is www.direct.gov.uk/renewalat70
Initially one registers with Government Gateway and gets a user ID - one assumes passport gives them an additional check.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
What if your passport has expired and, have no intent to renew it. Will a passport of any age suffice? or must it be current?
What if you have no passport at all?
nadger
Rising Star

It only says " passport ( if you have one) so not a requirement but obviously gives them a further point of reference.
nadger
Rising Star

Just received Government Gateway card and used it to access my driving licence details - even brings up photograph.
Looking at the other services available I'm thinking of joining the sheep and goat ear tag allocation system and to become a gangmaster  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

If you wish to renew the photo on your licence as part of your application you must provide a UK passport issued within the last five years.

that's an imposition if you don't have a current passport.  how much does it cost to get one of those things these days?