cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get your plasma TV quick

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Get your plasma TV quick

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/368/1050368/plasma-tvs-to-be-banned-in-europe
The bit I didn't know was that an LCD screen apparently uses more power than a CRT
A 42-inch Plasma TV consumes 822 watts of electricity in comparison with 350 watts of a flat screen LCD and 322 watts of a cathode ray tube.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Get your plasma TV quick

Well Jim, there is the other side to that...... "get rid of your plasma screens quick".....  Shocked
why?

cos it is costing you twice as much money to see the same old rubbish on the t.v. !  Cheesy

so even the electric bill (for the tv ) will be a repeat of itself...... !    Cheesy
Community Veteran

FYI.
There is new EU regulations coming into force fairly quickly that require a large number of products, like TV's and DECT phones, to have a standby power of 1W or less. This is going to be surprisingly tough for quite a few devices.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Not an electrical boffin, but how much power  do you need to switch a relay?  (to revert the equipment back to full power from standby)
Thunderclap
Grafter

I remember having heart failure when I read the plate on the back of a friend's Plasma. Let's just say he was doing the equivalent of boiling a kettle for six hours every day.
Crazy crazy
Wait a couple of years for OLED technology to find it's way onto big screen TV's. The brightness, clarity and contrast will just blow you away! And all for the energy of a 60 watts lightbulb. Not that you'll be allowed to own a 60W lightbulb by then.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: shutter
Not an electrical boffin, but how much power  do you need to switch a relay?   (to revert the equipment back to full power from standby)

Milliwatts to switch a triac...the solid state equivalent of a relay.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not an electrical boffin, but how much power  do you need to switch a relay?   (to revert the equipment back to full power from standby)

Its not just that Shutter, standby keeps all the circuits warm and ready for instant fire up, take the electric away and it might take 20 precious seconds to get going  Cool Cool Cool
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

With some LCD screens power usage can be reduced by manually or automatically changing settings depending on lighting conditions in the room. My 23" LCD reduces from around 55W on Vivid, to around 45W on Normal and around 35W when set for low lighting conditions.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre

Its not just that Shutter, standby keeps all the circuits warm and ready for instant fire up, take the electric away and it might take 20 precious seconds to get going   Cool Cool Cool

Yes I can see that might cause a problem to some families.....
they might just have time to decide to switch it off and go out for the evening, if they have to wait that long for the program to appear!.....

but probably not...  Undecided
techguy
Grafter

Crikey, I'll have to look a the rating plate on my 32 inch LCD
And I have a 650W PSU in this PC.
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy

And I have a 650W PSU in this PC.

Which, as you probably know, is the same as having a 1 bar electric fire on "warm"    Roll eyes
where the element is just about glowing , and not really doing much to warm your little tootsies! Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Oh well they better get them nuclear power stations constructed hadn't they, oh but of course then we cant do anything with the waste.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Power will be too cheap to meter.

Not.

techguy
Grafter

I'd like my own generator so could come 'off the grid' but they tax the diesel so heavily there sadly would be no benefit.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Get your own Wind turbine, there a lot of Hot air in Milton Keynes  Grin Grin Grin