Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get knotted

Fixes: 125

Get knotted

Knot mystery unravelled
Physicists tumbled a string in a box 3,415 times to investigate tangling
The loose ends of a string or headphone wire weaves through coils that tend to form in confined spaces 'within seconds'

I have a box of cables of various lengths and thickness. No matter how careful I am at placing them in the box and the box gets moved just twice they are almost always completely tangled. Do they have a life of their own?
It would be better to research how to unravel such a mess in the shortest time with the fewest moves Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Get knotted

Reminds me of an old Goon Show, where they spent 29.5 minutes looking for the culprit who had stolen the middle out of a piece of string, but they realized eventually that it hadn't been stolen after all, someone had cut the string in two and pulled the ends apart!  Roll eyes
Thunderclap
Grafter

Angry Get the same thing with xmas lights. January neat...... December birds nest.
Maybe it's down to Quantum Entanglement  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement
TORPC
Grafter

Had the same earlier with a 30Mtr telephone extension, that I dug out of storage
The whole container of cables that it was in, will need a good untangle
Fixes: 47

It's the work of cable goblins.
Round the back of a computer is one of their favourite haunts.
Oh...and they're nocturnal.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yup another victim of the satanic beasts here too.
If I ever catch the little critters in the act they're going to get the chop  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Leave 'em a ball of wool and they'll knit you a scarf.
I've got a pair of 79 strand socks.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shusssh!! I'm keeping my voice down unless they hear me but, cables are not the only gremlins. However systematic I am with my filing cabinet, the most important documents are never where I left them, someone or something gets in there and moves them around when I'm not looking. I've tried locking the cabinet but it doesn't help at all, the gremlins are adept at stealing the key.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The How To Tie Knots app will be your personal assistant in the complex craft of knot tying.
You don’t have to worry if you can keep all the necessary knots in your mind.

Free today only:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/how-to-tie-knots-3d/id520807989?mt=8
There are, of course, other sources of information on how to tie Knots, on purpose that is !
(Curse the auto complete & spell check !!)

TORPC
Grafter

Sad No good for PC users Sad
Compatibility:
Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
Shusssh!! I'm keeping my voice down unless they hear me but, cables are not the only gremlins. However systematic I am with my filing cabinet, the most important documents are never where I left them, someone or something gets in there and moves them around when I'm not looking. I've tried locking the cabinet but it doesn't help at all, the gremlins are adept at stealing the key.

Yes I had a similar problem - my version of the filing cabinet (big pile of papers on top of the desk or in the storage area) kept having this issue. To outsmart the paper gremlins I had to take to scanning everything into a custom made program and use barcoded header sheets (like fax headers) for the program to store everything in the corresponding account. The originals then go into a pile in the cupboard upstairs.
I'm glad to say the paper gremlins finally lost the battle!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!