Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

German court orders wireless passwords for all

johpal
Grafter

German court orders wireless passwords for all

Is this the future?  Sad
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_GERMANY_WIRELESS_PASSWORDS?SITE=SCCOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLAT...
Germany's top criminal court ruled Wednesday that Internet users need to secure their private wireless connections by password to prevent unauthorized people from using their Web access to illegally download data.
Internet users can be fined up to euro100 ($126) if a third party takes advantage of their unprotected WLAN connection to illegally download music or other files

2 REPLIES
SRD
Grafter

Re: German court orders wireless passwords for all

It seems reasonable to me, if you fail to secure your home properly your insurance company will reduce, if not refuse, any claim.  They're only requiring a password on set-up, not regular changes.  Anyway, why didn't he turn his router off when he was on holiday?
mentalist3d
Grafter

Re: German court orders wireless passwords for all

I keep my network unsecured at certain times of the day as I live in an area of social deprivation and don't mind others having access to the internet through my connection especially if they cannot afford their own access. When I first moved to my home, one of my neighbours allowed me to access their network, which I was really grateful as it helped me go self employed so I like to return the favour. I've noticed in the town I live, there is a lot of people keeping their networks open on purpose for others to use. As long as people don't abuse it, I have no problem with it.