cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

George Osborne visits Bedminster PC repair shop to see jobless get back to work

TORPC
Grafter

George Osborne visits Bedminster PC repair shop to see jobless get back to work

[quote= http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/fightback-against-byteback/]A computer repair shop in Bristol has become one of the first companies to be caught boasting about forcing people to work without pay on the latest workfare scheme.
[quote= http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/George-Osborne-visits-Bedminster-PC-repair-shop/story-21451789-detail/story.html]The Chancellor of the Exchequer dropped in on a Bristol company helping people who have been out of work for years.
George Osborne visited Byteback IT Solutions, a computer repair and recycling shop business in Bedminster.
Among the racks of cast-off desktop computers, he met Marcus Baker, 25, from Southmead, who has recently started a six-month placement through the Help to Work scheme.
17 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: George Osborne visits Bedminster PC repair shop to see jobless get back to work

Roll eyes
I guess you can't accuse the Tories of hiding what they'd do if they got back in.  
The rich have taken 95% of all income gains since the last recession: the Tories are clearly targetting that missing 5%  Roll eyes
Fixes: 105

Re: George Osborne visits Bedminster PC repair shop to see jobless get back to work

Excellent article about the US there.. not sure what it's got to do with a PC shop in Bristol though.
Will Moderate For Thanks
WTF
Grafter

If you read the original post about people having to work for zero pay, maybe the link will become clear.
And if you would prefer related articles about the rich getting ever richer in the UK (like we're any different from the US in that), try this and this and this and this (would you like me to go on?)
dick:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@dvorak I didn't see anything about the US mentioned. From my POV it was all about Bristol.. last time i checked that was in the UK  Undecided
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
WTF
Grafter

The US bit was referring the link in my post about the distribution of increased income since the recession.
Unfortunately, I didn't find a UK link to make the joke work.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Recently, I was surprised to find how many PC Repair shops Bristol has. I suspect it's a combination of low incomes, low business rents and the cities overall green credentials. It's a shame these people cannot be paid a decent wage on the scheme, but it may open the door to more lucrative IT support jobs. Maybe? Now let's see little prince George change the DIMMs on a Mobo...
TORPC
Grafter

I bet he couldn't change the CMOS battery Tongue Cheesy
Thunderclap
Grafter

Huh Or find where they stuck the Rasberry on the Pi
Community Veteran

Grin
Community Veteran

I'm assuming the people in the scheme are given money by the government. How much is this?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
Recently, I was surprised to find how many PC Repair shops Bristol has. I suspect it's a combination of low incomes, low business rents and the cities overall green credentials. It's a shame these people cannot be paid a decent wage on the scheme, but it may open the door to more lucrative IT support jobs. Maybe? Now let's see little prince George change the DIMMs on a Mobo...

The problem is that with tablets becoming mainstream for everything these days the desktop PCs days are numbered. Sure you'll always get hardcore fans of the thing such as myself but it's mainstream use at home or in the workplace is going to be in decline.
Community Veteran

Just answered my own question. They continue to get their benefits so long as they stay on the scheme, visit a job centre every day or undertake training.
If they are on the scheme there is always a possibility of getting a permanent job.
TORPC
Grafter

Being on the scheme
Does that mean they will get a recognised certification
Or
As back in the day on the YTS, the certification wasn't even worth toilet paper
Community Veteran

I can't answer that. Maybe there's someone reading this thread who can help.
Schemes such as this also have other benefits. it gets youing people into the habit of getting up out of the house at a regular time each day. They hopefully will also learn some of the work ethic which will help them in the future.