Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

George Foreman Grills

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

George Foreman Grills

A few years back ( eight) we bought a couple of George Foreman Grills
One large "Family" size, and one "Four" portion smaller one.
Four portions !!!! Not in our household...
Anyway, in the spirit of replacing our older kitchen appliances, we recently bought a new  "Four" portion George Foreman Grill.
The older worked OK, but seemed to be getting slower to achieve the same result.
The new one is lower wattage, 750w cf 800w, but does the same job taking only 60% of the time.
Better design, as you would expect, and we actually read the instruction book, so with this one, we wipe the plates with Veg Oil before each use.
The food does indeed now not stick, and the plates are easier to wipe clean.

We normally use 5% low fat Cumberland Sausages, there is little fat collected.
Last week we tried out 15% fat normal Cumberland Sausages, there was a lot of fat collected in the drip tray.

Favourite breakfast at the moment is two 5% CS's, with two quartered onions, low carbs apart from any in the Sausages.

Going to try a Cheese & Onion Toastie cooked on it today, supposed to be OK
A tip our cook told me, when placing the quartered onions on the grill, press down for a second, this secures the onion's position, and stops it sliding down, and it works !

Do you have one ? What do you like cooking on it ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: George Foreman Grills

We have a small one, doesn't get used much these days but typical use is sausages, bacon, sometimes a burger but thats about it. I have a vague recollection of my missus using it to toast bread on too but i could be wrong..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

Going to try a Cheese & Onion Toastie cooked on it today, supposed to be OK

OK.... good job I had a Kitchen Apron on !!
As I placed the C&O Toastie on the Hot Grill, buttered side down....... an explosion of very fine globules of butter came out of the front of the GFG.
Only projected a few inches, but still a bit of a shock !
Looks like the GFG plates are hotter than the Toastie plates.
Next time, I'll not butter the bottom side of the C&O Toastie.

Having said that, the Toastie was very nice, I gave it 8 minutes, and the outer Bread was nicer as when done in the Toastie device.
The C&O filling didn't leak either.
Quote from: 7up
We have a small one, doesn't get used much these days but typical use is sausages......

Try my Breakfast recipe, I don't oil the onions at all, and cut the cooked sausages into 8 pieces, ( half, quarters ) then liberally sprinkle Black Pepper over.
Plate of S&O, fork, glass of sparkling water whilst I watch Sky News Papers morning review.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly a lot of grilling in your household.
Who gets most of it ?
Cheesy
Infinity
Pro

Tesco this morning....
Toastie Sandwich Makers half Price !!
C&O Toastie again this morning....
The older Toastie device is a bit long in the tooth

Quote from: gleneagles
Certainly a lot of grilling in your household.
Who gets most of it ?
Cheesy

Once a day Huh !!!
Steve
Pro

Remember the first time I cooked bacon in mine. I thought wow normally I would eat that gunk! Shocked
Infinity
Pro

We have some friends staying with us at the moment.
They are George Foreman Grill aficionados, and gave us a couple of good tips.
1) Place a folded Kitchen Roll sheet in the drip tray, and add a few drops of water. This keeps the KR in place & folded,  and once removed, there is NO fat in the tray, wipe clean.
2) The small amount of oil put into a saucer to lubricate the plates with some KR, first of all cover the saucer with some Aluminium Foil, then add oil. Once plates are oiled, remove the foil, saucer back into cupboard !
This means with both tips, no oily / fatty washing up water, or in the Dishwasher.
Breakfast this morning was Sausages & Onions, placed directly in the Grill plate, as before, Beans in a microwave...
As above, using low fat Cumberland Sausages (Asda) there is no extraneous fat anyway, with Butchers' sausages, there is quite a lot released.

Toastie Cheese & Onion Sandwiches, although the Sandwich toaster produces the best result, but is a bit messy, we tend to use the GF Grill, we don't cut the bread before placing on the Grill, just fold each slice over, folded side towards the front, this stops any Cheese escaping.... mostly !
Community Veteran

We used a GF grill for a while, not long after they were first introduced. And our experience was somewhat different.
After a fairly long period of intermittent use. It became noticeable that we were both suffering stomach troubles. At first the GF grill wasn't even considered as the cause, but after a while it became clear that problems occurred shortly after the grill was used.
We stopped using the grill and the gastric problems ceased.
I must say straight away that I was assiduous in the cleaning of the grill after use. But the fact remains that for some reason the GF grill was to blame. It was felt that it was more than likely to do with the intermittent use and storage afterwards that was the reason.
The grill was disposed of, and so were the gastric problems. So I suppose the answer is if you have one use it regularly.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

What Oil, if any, were you using to lubricate the plates ?
Some Oils do not cope well with the very high contact temperatures encountered with the GF Grills.
Also, our older small GF Grill, before we replaced it was taking longer & longer to cook... lower temperature ?
No problems with the large GF Grill, with a temperature control.
Our new "4 person" Grill is in almost daily use for the Sausage & Onion Breakfast Grill, as above
andytay70

I think he was using castrol GTX oil lol Cheesy
Community Veteran

I'm sure it was meant with some amusement, but I don't see what the joke is...
To answer the question though, Rapeseed oil. Which can withstand a far higher cooking temperature than olive or vegetable oils before reaching a flash point. Not that, that means a GF grill will get anywhere near a flash point. Rapeseed oil is generally wholesome stuff and offers a "different" flavour.
Edit rapeseed oil can though leave a slightly sticky residue that can be difficult to clean off, so maybe that is where my plroblem lay.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.