cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GeoLocation & brightview

tr45684

GeoLocation & brightview

I'm just recently got Plusnet broadband, and noticed Google has identified my GeoLocation (On Google's shopping tab) to my home town (population 100K), whilst my IP is an generic Glasgow. In particular I see the specific geolocation is provided by EurekAPI via Brightview ltd (a Plusnet company). Determined by https://www.iplocation.net/    tab:  tools then 'Where is Geolocation of an IP Address?'

Does this mean Plusnet are providing details about my service provision to Google via Brightview? I have turned off Location attributes in my browser only to find this is totally bypassed via Brightview. Is it reasonable to not expect this leakage, I assume its all above board?  Is there a technical reason why google seems to have this information?

I might have this all totally wrong, any ideas?

4 REPLIES
VinceMarsters
Grafter

Re: GeoLocation & brightview

Don't forget that if you have Google apps on a phone then this can also be reporting your location details and will give Google a heads up to your location if you are logged into your Google account on the computer.

Geolocation is a weird thing - in the past I have had it report that I am located in the district of the town I live in, in the town itself, in a village about 8 miles away and also 100's of miles away, all from the same IP address and within a week of each other. It is not really a reliable way to identify where someone is unless that person also reports their location from their browser (so uses wifi channels etc too to help narrow the location down).

tr45684

I never login to my Google Acc on my browser & only turn on mobile Location, if I need to use a map then turn if off immediately. I'm a little disappointed that seemingly, my ISP is may be making my location available (which is what I presume is happening from the contents of iplocation.net data).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

I think you are misinterpreting the information presented by the iplocation.net website. The ISP and Organisation details are merely information returned about that IP address from the geolocation provider. They do not give the source of the location information. I think Brightview was a smaller ISP bought by Plusnet a long time ago, you happened to have an IP address that previously belonged to Brightview.

tr45684

I think you may be correct. Brightview ltd is no longer a plusnet company (companies house). So it seems very reasonable what you are suggesting. Looks to just be a unfortunate coincidence. I presume this coincidence is unique to my town.  Thanks for you input.