cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genetic Engineering

Community Veteran

Re: Genetic Engineering

And as the new methods are introduced it brings prices down and makes the product affordable to more people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Interesting that some of us older folk can see the necessity for change whilst some younger folk are resistant to it.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

when those people were tilling the fields filled with non gmo force grown hydroponic sludge they were healthier, had smaller waistlines and were generally more genial, now they are locked up in doors getting fatter by the minute and eating force grown gmo hydroponic sludge whilst generally having a lesser quality of life all round, if the PowerStation fails they starve and have no job because everything runs on electric in this new age....
"in all things balance is the key"
when I was growing up life was much happier than at any other point since, back then you had the ability to seek adventure, you could become a roving picker get a factory position enter the service industry (hotels, shops, offices, etc ) or the home services (military, police, fire, medical etc) today you can sit on your backside and hope one of the decent jobs offers you an interview or flog you guys out for below minimum wage in the service industry and if your in a very tiny minority (less than 0.25%) you might be lucky enough to find seasonal picking work or maybe a non secure factory position but only if your quick because every facet of industry is seeing ever increasing automation, in 10 more years there will be no work left because robots will do everything
that's not "better" for anyone but the profit chasing "employers" who are failing to think big picture, if you don't employ anyone they have no wages, if they have no wages who buys the product your making ...... its a downward spiral and it wont change until the masses wake up and realise not all progress is good or worthwhile,

the old folk look back with ever rosier tints in their eyes on how things were before, probably because the finer points about all the strife have been forgotten to them, it wasn't that long ago the telecoms union was on the street protesting about all the phone centers being shut cos Indians were cheaper, the mill workers were already long gone because they were replaced by machines before those mills were closed and production moved overseas (where they are now sacking the workers and replacing them with cheaper machines.....)
maybe you didn't experience some of the problems "progress" has caused but seeing so many youngsters unable to find even basic picking jobs reminds me that I spent much of my teenage years gainfully employed earning a wage at local farms
tell me who was it famously said "first they came for the XXX but nobody did anything, then they came for the xxxx but nobody did anything, then they came for me but nobody was left " ? anyhow transpose that to meaning first they came for xxx job then they replaced xxxx job and then we were all unemployed..... if this magic bullet does everything that people claim it will do what happens to the millions of people employed in the medical field ?  they get replaced by a dagnostic computer that can check you over and give you a instant cure for anything ..... except you wont be able to afford ot use it because you have no job ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

with a little bit more thought I have found something that has been improved in a positive manner,
computers, their constant improvement and the recent successes with the early quantum systems has proven to be the boon that it was believed they could be, automated safety sensors are another monstrously good thing, but far from replacing erroneous humans they augment them,
in 10 years if current progress happens we will no longer require speed limits or licences for vehicles because they things will drive themselves getting rid of all public transport workers, and generally improving road rail water and air safety (until some script kiddy causes a crash)
so yet more jobs lost and ever fewer people with jobs.....
in 50 years if current rates of progress continue the only jobs left will be political ones there will be no use for safety legislators people will be mass unemployed cattle but at least they can enter the lottery for a days rations to split between their family and another lottery for medical access.... logans run here we come !
your unfettered progress will bring about our end faster than my cautious approach, but my approach would see us achieve star flight and allow us to arrive at the magic bullet when society is no longer constrained by what a single planet can provide /
millions die in the name of progress for every major achievement why should securing humanities existence through seeding colonies all over the universe not also be achieved at the same time /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you