Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generational Jihadists

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Generational Jihadists

One morning news item that is in effect non news knee jerk clickbait, is the 'proposal' to scrap triple lock pensions which, as the article points out despite it's headline, is simply not going to happen and moreover, not if the 'generational jihadists' (of which I am a proud member) have anything to do with it.

The grey vote is a powerful one and is ignored at the government's peril. There might be less of us proportionally but we vote, and we vote in number. Give some thought to the blanket distribution of the fuel allowance by all means, but hands off our paid for pensions!  Knuppel

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/nov/06/triple-lock-pension-should-scrapped-mps-generational-i...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
7 REPLIES
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Generational Jihadists

I suppose that as a relatively well off couple me and 'er; my DBS pensions from work, two state pensions, house and good savings, need to consider those in much worse situations than we are. If it has to be that our likes have to give up some marginal benefits, so be it. That is, only if those advising such moves take into account the withdrawal of Age Allowance from our Income Tax.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Well yes, but you'd only be eligible for that age allowance income tax if you were working, and you are not I take it.

Along with that much maligned winter fuel allowance, other benefits that could be looked at for well off couples like yourself are free bus passes, discounted rail fares, cold weather payment, free television licence and some of which you are presumably taking advantage of.

I'm guessing you are as so often greed outweighs need, and consideration for others even amongst pensioners with a more than comfortable income goes out of the window. 

Human nature eh? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Hasn't that been looked into many times and the verdict always was that means testing for various benefits/freebies would cost far more than it would save meaning those worse off would only end up with less..

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Along with that much maligned winter fuel allowance, other benefits that could be looked at for well off couples like yourself are free bus passes, discounted rail fares, cold weather payment, free television licence and some of which you are presumably taking advantage of.

Assuming that Age Allowance refers to Income Tax Personal Allowance, older people now have the same allowances as everyone else working or not.

In England there are no national tax-payer supported reduced rail fares although some local authorities choose to provide them. There is a Senior Railcard that permits discounted rail fares off-peak and that has to be paid for - just as there are Family and 16-25 cards.

Cold weather payments are only payable to people on certain benefits and are not restricted to the elderly.

Free TV licences are only for over 75s.

Bus passes have to be applied for. I assume that the cost largely depends on how much use is made of them. I don't imagine that the rich choose to wait for a bus when there are more comfortable alternatives.

Universal Winter Fuel allowance is the one that I find hardest to defend. Perhaps it should be increased but made taxable so that the poorest benefit more and the richest pay most of it back in tax. People too poor to heat their homes will ultimately end up costing the health and social services more than the £200/£300 heating allowance.

Luzern
Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Well yes, but you'd only be eligible for that age allowance income tax if you were working, and you are not I take it.

I'm guessing you are as so often greed outweighs need, and consideration for others even amongst pensioners with a more than comfortable income goes out of the window. 

Human nature eh? 

No; it is an age allowance given when Pensionable Age was attained, but nearly phased out.

From CAB literature

Age-related Personal Allowance

Most taxpayers born before 6 April 1938 are entitled to a higher Personal Allowance known as an age-related Personal Allowance. The amount depends on their date of birth and their income. The income limit for age-related Personal Allowance is £27,700 in the 2016 to 2017 tax year. If income is above this income limit, the age-related allowance is reduced by £1 for every £2 of income over the limit. However, the age-related allowance is not reduced below the level of the basic Personal Allowance unless income is above £100,000.

Before 6 April 2013, age-related allowances depended on age and income, rather than date of birth. People aged 65 to 74, or 75 and over, were entitled to higher allowances, but these were also reduced if income was above the income limit that applied at the time.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro

I have admitted my status, but even so, such as I have much less margin than those of the Tory party, who make the suggestions. Yes, we do use the bus, but the cheapest combined fare to reach the large shopping centre, 12+ miles would be £8 each, £2 to the local centre only. I do drive, but being now in my eighties, I keep my mileage as far as I can local. I think that has community value, as some younger folk seem to believe over 70s unsafe on the road. On that point cheap travel does encourage some lonely old folk to get out. I'd have thought that beneficial to both them and everyone else. Here the local circular is a meeting point, and even the drivers from a national group join in sometimes.

Community Veteran

alanf wrote:

Assuming that Age Allowance refers to Income Tax Personal Allowance, older people now have the same allowances as everyone else working or not.

In England there are no national tax-payer supported reduced rail fares although some local authorities choose to provide them. There is a Senior Railcard that permits discounted rail fares off-peak and that has to be paid for - just as there are Family and 16-25 cards.

Cold weather payments are only payable to people on certain benefits and are not restricted to the elderly.

Free TV licences are only for over 75s.

Bus passes have to be applied for. I assume that the cost largely depends on how much use is made of them. I don't imagine that the rich choose to wait for a bus when there are more comfortable alternatives.

@alanf How dare you - confusing a rant with actual facts Wink