cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Motors sells Saab to Dutch firm Spyker

Community Veteran

General Motors sells Saab to Dutch firm Spyker

"One of the most famous names in European motoring, Saab, is set to be consigned to automotive history following a decision today by its owner, General Motors, to shut down the business after a last-ditch attempt at a sale failed."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/dec/18/gm-shuts-saab
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8421007.stm

Rather sad -
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: GM to shut down Saab

Very sad
I've had 5 Saabs (3 9000s, a 93 and a 95) and loved them all .My brother loved my first 9000 so much he bought a 9000 2.3FPT Aero. The 9000s were solid and had good engines (based on an old Triumph engine I've been told, with titanium pistons). Having said that my 95 is at 176,000 on its original engine (replaced the turbo) and is still turning in 33mpg+ and that's off a 2 litre 215bhp engine in an estate. Just sailed throiugh its MOT with no issues - which is not bad for 10 year old car.
Loombucket
Grafter

That's desperately sad.  I've had two SAABs - a 2001 9-5 2.3SE LP Turbo that I had for 5 years and a 1991 9000 2.3SE Turbo Nutter Automatic that I've had since 1993.  Mrs L wouldn't let me trade it for the 9-5 as she loved it too much, so she kept it.  It's done just short of 200,000 miles and is only now being dosposed of under the scrappage scheme.
It has to be said that the 9-5 was really more of a GM than a SAAB (with all the reliability and quality problems that GM owners tend to suffer) but the 9000 was still a real SAAB - built like a Sherman tank and survived a rear-end shunt administered by a Fiat Oh-No that wrote itself off in the process.
It's been an absolute joy to own and drive - it really is knackered now but we're really going to miss it.
Community Veteran

Although GM seem to have been trying to sell Saab for some time, maybe now this news might attract more attention and someone will buy it up.
It would be tragic if the Swedish know how was lost - we have to fear fro Volvo too - will Ford keep them or sell off like they did with Jaguar.
barky
Grafter

Last I heard Volvo cars was being sold to a Chinese company, Geely  -- and they've been assembling Volvos out in Malaysia, Thailand & China for a while now anyway
Community Veteran

The Saab motor company was given a late reprieve when General Motors agreed to extend the deadline for a potential suitor to raise the funds needed to buy the loss-making Swedish brand. GM had originally demanded that Spyker Cars conclude a deal by 12 o'clock on Friday but has now decided that the Dutch sports car company can have another week.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/dec/30/gm-and-saab-reprieve
Maybe some hope
badwolf
Grafter

Apparently GM where making all kinds of demands and manipulating the whole negotiation process to make buying Saab as difficult as possible.
Why not just "give" Saab away? All Saab are to GM now is direct competition, the preferred solution for them is to wind down the brand completely.
Very sad, but even sadder is that GM were allowed to buy that 50% stake in Saab some 20 years ago Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: mal0z
we have to fear fro Volvo too

Must be said I can't help but think that Volvo's future may be limited. It's a bloody shame as their cars are so indestructible. I really can't see why more people don't buy cars like it rather than Renaults (who are now apparently the 4th largest manufacturer in the world!). God knows how Renault have made it so big and a well respected company like Volvo is going down the pan. It just doesn't make sense. The only thing I can see is that Volvo must make huge losses on parts because their cars are so strong and so there can't be much business for parts.
It will be a shame if Volvo does go down the pan. Everyone seems to know of their robust reputation and yet so few people buy them. I find it weird how companies which have shameful dishonest tactics will always survive despite the huge numbers of people burned by them yet other honest companies which have a outstanding reputation for solid products and services go down the pan because customers would rather believe that "if it sounds to good to be true, then actually its true". Mind you.. the same can be said for some ISPs too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
badwolf
Grafter

All that will happen with Volvo is the technology will be copied into Geely's platform (particularly the safety stuff for which Chinese cars are just appauling for). Once they have what they want they will allow the company to collapse. Just look what they did to MG Rover. Typical Chinese economics - all about copying
Remember when Peugot closed down their UK plant that built 206's - everyone said they'd boycott the brand? How suprising people are still buying their rubbish and they are one of the most popular brands in the UK Roll eyes
Community Veteran

We have Badwolf calling Peugeot rubbish and okrzynska saying Volvo are indestructible.
Come on guys  a little balance and be fair
I had Citroen/Peugeot s for 15 years and in all that time was never let down, broke down or had any unexpected or unreasonable repair given the high mileage I did in the.
I agree Volvo are good but my Pals S40 had problems with fuel injection system that took two years and about 3 visits to dealers to fix, gearbox selector mechanism collapsed and needed replacing.
There are good and back examples in each - and neither is perfect or absolute rubbish. But on balance I would say Volvo were a bit more upmarket and better, but never perfect.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's true that there are some friday afternoon volvos out there but in general their cars are far longer living and reliable than most.
I've heard of some Volvos having head gasket failures too.. but I think its fair to say that the harder you thrash any car the more chance there is of a HG failure.
At the end of the day, Volvo does have a very good reputation for both safety and reliability. I'm sure that as you've said they'll be broken up and destroyed thats just the world of business these days unfortunately Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When you look at a modern Saab - or rather look under the bonnet etc - you all all sorts of things with GM badges - like engine and transmission, steering and brakes may be GM or one of the other suppliers that supply to several vehicle manufacturers.
Similarly with Volvo - they have Ford engines, transmissions and goodness knows what other common parts.
The only difference is they are assembled in a different factory.
So to say that a Saab is more reliable than a Vauxhall/Opel
Or a Volvo is more reliable than a Ford  ,
is................................  Wink
badwolf
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
I agree Volvo are good but my Pals S40 had problems with fuel injection system that took two years and about 3 visits to dealers to fix, gearbox selector mechanism collapsed and needed replacing.

Quote from: okrzynska
I've heard of some Volvos having head gasket failures too.. but I think its fair to say that the harder you thrash any car the more chance there is of a HG failure.

And of course nothing to do with the fact they have been assembling Volvos in China for a few years now Tongue
Community Veteran

For which markets ?
I would assume for internal Chinese markets and maybe for other far east countries -
not much chance of them shipping them back to Europe - so how relevant is that ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and as been said elswhere the S40 sub is actually a Ford Focus and that is not rumour