cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Election

idlewis
Grafter

General Election

This is a very important election where every vote counts.  There looks like a low turnout at the election but there might be a time where it could be compulsory to vote if the turnout is down to a certain figure as if you don't vote you might get fined.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: General Election

They should should make it compulsory to vote, but put an abstain box on the voting paper for people to register their disapproval of the system if they wish.
And make the ballot form easy to understand, especially after the fiasco of the last Scottish Parliament election - which was overseen by the UK Government.
idlewis
Grafter

I agree with you with everything you said but I think it needs to change the current voting method because it is unfair and it why people are not voting.
itsme
Grafter

As we live in a free country I execise my freedom by choosing not to vote. Have never voted and have no intention to vote. I do not wish to have a career politician wet behind the ears representing the town that I live in.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well I will be voting for Liberal Democrats as all wase, I want Laber out of Government and out of Middlesbrough, I am sick of them been in Government & been in Middlesbrough.  Just in case you did not get that Laber Get Out and Stay Out!
nadger
Rising Star

We got the vote a bit later in life and I've always voted at General Elections.
I've always thought that if people don't make the effort to vote they actually give up the right to complain about the government.
Fixes: 47

If 3 plates are placed in front of you each with unpleasant contents you have the option to abstain from eating and no-one would think bad of you.
If you have 3 politicians placed in front of you each with an unpleasant set of policies you have the option to abstain from voting but people will criticize you.
Having said that I usually vote in a general election simply because I have that right not because I think that any particular candidate is not in it just for the money.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Perhaps if people voted for the person best suited to represent their constituency instead of voting for a party they wish to see as the government we may get better governments Than maybe we get less career politicians elected.
Community Veteran

I'll be voting but it won't make any difference whatever I do vote.
Round here a blue badge on a pile of dog poo could become our MP!  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'll certainly vote.  No one candidate is ideal so I think you look at the main contenders and vote for the one who seems to have the policies nearest your own.
I get annoyed when people complain about a government and you discover they hadn't bothered to vote.
Fixes: 125

I've only missed one General Election since I was 18 and that was due to ill health. Wasn't even able to sort out a postal vote Sad
Not sure that complusory voting with an Abstainance option would work - how many are already reported as defaced? Probably a lot more would be.
One thing, though, the way things are I would never trust internet voting - besides, I like the idea of putting my X on a piece of paper  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jmd
Grafter

My MP is alright and seems to be genuinely interested in folk.  So he will get my vote.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, will be voting. But here in the middle of Lib Dem country it may be a slightly wasted vote. Still, I suppose they can always claim it wasn't their fault!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

As you might have guessed - I'm not a signed up member or strong supporter of any one party. My adolescent experince of being close to the process for period's made me syniocal of the system. But I have always voted if I could, and over the years have voted for several parties - based partly on how I judged the candidate, and have been a tactical voter if I hadn't want  particular candidate or party to be succesful.