cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Election

artmo
Community Veteran

General Election

A general election has been called for Thursday, 12th December. It could be a very interesting contest and may produce an interesting result.

Let's see if we can discuss the GE in a grown up manner without some of the childish behaviour we are seeing in the Brexit thread.

155 REPLIES 155
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: General Election

Regardless of your views of Corbyn or Labour you have to admit this is really quite an impressive campaign video.

https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1189313830167498753?s=19

And their social media game is more on point than the Tories and the atrocious rhetoric bot that is Bozo's Twitter account...

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Given the tatters that Labour are in with everyone spouting a different message and pulling in different directions you would need rocks in your head to vote for them.  Labour have lost their working class credentials and been hijacked by suburban middle class types.  It is trying to seem like they still represented the working man while the strings are pulled by metro-centric remainers who have hijacked the party and set the agenda that makes them look totally pathetic and neither one thing or the other.  Also given the help they get in elections by postal votes harvested by party supporters they really need to be investigated ( properly this time ) by the biased electoral commission ( if they can take time off from their witch hunt of leavers ).

And as for comrade Corbyn, who objects to the killing of top IS commanders and consorts with Palestinian terrorists,  words fail me.......

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@wotsup wrote:

words fail me.......

If only...

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@DaveyH wrote:

Regardless of your views of Corbyn or Labour you have to admit this is really quite an impressive campaign video.

@DaveyH 

"Have to admit" is rather presumptuous don't you think?  And if your link took me to the same video you're praising, then it also seems rather presumptuous to me..

dvorak
Fixes: 1,182

Well the first claim is wrong: "Poverty isn't inevatable".

As the common measure for poverty is 'household income below 60 percent of median income' - poverty is always inevitable. That's the definition used in the Child Poverty Act 2010 - introduced by a Labour government.

I gave up watching at that point.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ffox
Pro

Boris wants this election so that the Tories can regain a majority like they had before TM called the unnecessary election 2+ years ago!  What a farce it's been since.   

Do you want to vote for a lying. cheating, over-confident bully, or do you want a too-far-left wimp?  I don't think I can vote for either of them.  Probably the Tories will end up the biggest party in the HoC, but again without an overall majority so it could be all change but still ending up with a blockage. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

A number of people will be fed up of the way MP's have been playing political games and will simply not bother to vote.

They certainly have little interest in representing those who vote for them despite promises made when seeking votes.

The B word will certainly have a major influence on the way people vote and in my opinion Labour will be the main losers as the party simply does not know what it supports, the libdems are likely to gain a few extra seats where support for remain is high but the key thing is the conservative party, Boris has shown to be someone who says one thing then do another so trust is clearly a weakness but his determination to get Brexit done whatever the cost will be attractive to those including some remainers who simply want to get on with running a business and for others who see so much time lost over the past 3 years discussing the issue whilst other essential issues are being ignored.

The worst possible outcome is no overall winners, in which case the circus continues.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Though hopefully an election will remove the dregs I doubt if much will change among the dissenters.

Say the conservatives win with 30% of the vote and a majority there will still be a vocal minority shouting that 70% voted against brexit.

artmo
Community Veteran

I applied for a postal vote yesterday as I will be on holiday on 12th. A form has been sent to me to complete. Not done this before but I am told approximately 2 weeks prior to the election I will be sent a ballot paper to return.

I worry that we could end up in the same state we are in now with no overall majority albeit with a difference balance from the parties.

It will be interesting to see what Farage does. I assume he will stand himself but will he do any deals with BJ in some constituencies?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@ffox wrote:

Do you want to vote for a lying. cheating, over-confident bully 

Honestly? Yeah I'd definitely prefer him over Labour.

All you have on Boris is a few press claims that he's lied. Can you produce any proof? - The £350million a week thing.. nobody here has ever produced any real numbers that i'm aware of (OldJim could have no doubt) and as for the lying to the queen business, has she come forward and confirmed that? - Because until then, there is no proof and it's just a smear against Boris by the remain camp.

The only reason i won't vote tory (or any of them) is because my local MP is a prat who doesn't care about anyone but himself. On the register of donations thing he's taken loads of gifts from building developers who are totally hammering my local area with new builds, flats etc and drawing people out of london while ramping up local property prices. I'm not going to support a moron like that.

At present our entire political system is broken. This has been caused by Tony Blair who introduced the celebrity status into politics - and ever since, every PM we've had has tried to follow suit - along with their party members who are becoming younger and more obsessed with press coverage of themselves.

None of them have our interests at heart and that is why I still refuse to vote. I used to think the green party were the only trustable bunch but ever since Caroline Lucas went on her crusade about all politicians should be female and clearly demonstrating the dictatorship streak she's put me off too.

The way we're going, this country is heading for a civil war.

If BoJo loses, Labour certainly won't win and so we're stuck with another hung parliament of bickering, infighting, good for nothing MPs who can't achieve anything except milking the public purse and taking bribes (while declaring them which makes it all okay obviously).

Interesting times..

And that's about as much as i have to say in this thread. I don't like political threads on plusnet, they become too heated (probably why someone keeps starting them) so i shall be doing my best to stay out of this one from this point.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@artmo wrote:

It will be interesting to see what Farage does. I assume he will stand himself but will he do any deals with BJ in some constituencies?

@artmo 

I think you've got that the wrong way round.  Nigel has made it clear he's willing to do the sensible thing and do a deal with Boris, but Boris can't see that there are areas of the country where people just can't bring themselves to vote Conservative (even if it's means getting Brexit over the line), but may well vote for the Brexit party.  So it's Boris who needs to wake up and take up the offer of doing a deal with Nigel.

I'd never voted Conservative before but did so at the 2017 election because I thought that was the best way to push Brexit forward. (I've never voted Labour either).

dvorak
Fixes: 1,182

@7up wrote:

@ffox wrote:

Do you want to vote for a lying. cheating, over-confident bully 

Honestly? Yeah I'd definitely prefer him over Labour.

All you have on Boris is a few press claims that he's lied. Can you produce any proof? - The £350million a week thing.. nobody here has ever produced any real numbers that i'm aware of

This was covered on More Or Less (Radio 4 statistics show) and we do send £350 million to the EU. But we also get some back in the form of a rebate and other money etc.

So as with probably all politicians it wasn't wrong, it just wasn't quite right either.

But having looked over the Policy Exchange "McDonnellomics" paper there's no chance I will ever vote for Corbyn and co.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@artmo 

Grown up manner without childish behaviour?

Like that's ever going to happen, as this election is little more that an extension of Brexit. Sure it might take a different slant, but that's about it.

But we'll try Sir, honestly. 

Hopefully Boris will get in with a thumping majority even if supported in part by Farage, then we can get Brexit done with a decent deal if possible following which, we'll wangle another election and get the pair out... and replace them with errr.

Sorry, that's all I've got. 😯

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Breaking news:

Amber Rudd "stands down"

Translation:

Amber Rudd jumps before she is pushed. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.