Aspiring Pro
Steve
Pro

Re: General Election

@bjallenby All in the name of terrorism innit. Police

Highlighted
Community Veteran

If they wanted to do more than just saying "don't do that" I imagine they would probably have to double the number of government employees.

Or ISP's would have to.

Then half the country wouldn't be able to afford broadband. Problem solved.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Governments simply don't have the ability to do that. We have all seen these recent hacks of the NHS and various organizations across the world, whatever the government tried to do you can bet there is someone ( usually a young person) out there who can find a way around the restrictions.

The more you prevent someone from doing something the more they are likely to want to do it

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

gleneagles wrote:

Governments simply don't have the ability to do that.

North Korea has been very successful at it. The United States has been engaged in it since the 90s. With things like Room 641A where it was splicing fibre trunks. It's recently finished development of a mass data retention facility in Utah. Tempora is the codename for the British alternative run by GCHQ. Bullrun is the NSA attempt at cracking encryption methods. Edgehill is GCHQs alternative.

Web blocking takes place to some degree across all major ISPs in the UK. Including Plusnet. SEDITION is listed as one of the things they could consider charging you for. Incitement to racial or religious hatred, which it just a means of oppressing any discontent about your views on immigration or the effect religion is having in our country.

There will be no criticising the government. No criticising the monarchy. And there will certainly be no talk whatsoever about the possibility of maybe the country ever needing a revolution. Your job as a citizen is to sit down, shut up and drink the kool aid. Do as you're told. Think what you're told. Never question what you're told.

Companies in the West having been selling software and solutions to Middle Eastern and African dictatorships for years to censor their internet. The implementation of those same tools and solutions in our own country would be a piece of [-Censored-]. This is Great Britain. Not China. Not North Korea. And certainly not some backwards hotter than hell [-Censored-] hole in the Middle East with a horrific history of human rights abuses and home to one of the most oppressive forms of Islam in the world.

We have all seen these recent hacks of the NHS and various organizations across the world, whatever the government tried to do you can bet there is someone ( usually a young person) out there who can find a way around the restrictions.

Which is exactly why it's a bad idea. But they're two different things. This isn't about getting around the controls. It's about the implementation of them in the first place and what that means to us as a society.

The more you prevent someone from doing something the more they are likely to want to do it

They've already been making calls about trying to make encryption technologies illegal. In the war against terror. Or under the old line of "won't anyone think of the children!" (if you cared about the children you'd monitor their internet use. It's that simple. Fobbing your responsibility off onto the government is laziness and an inability to understand or even learn modern technology is no excuse). They're very good at using reasonable sounding arguments to push unreasonable demands / bills / laws / acts / wars...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

The irony of my post being censored and needing reviewed before it's put up is actually hilarious.
Fixes: 82

@bjallenby

Nothing sinister going on. Your post was caught by the spam filter possibly due to the links it contained. I have released the post now. The only editing is a Mod Note explaining why it went AWOL.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

I know. I just thought it was funny that I posted a rant about internet filtering and censorship and it was caught in a filter and censored.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

The Lib Dems have launched a poster into their campaign. They say it's funny. Really?Huh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-39979839

Seems a waste of money to me.

Community Veteran

a2212168-22f4-4bac-92c4-b88288ccd960.jpg

Not up to Selwyn's standard.

selwyn_044.jpg

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Eddie Izzard for P.M. anyone?

Community Veteran

I would seriously vote Abbot for PM before Izzard.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Mook
Mook wrote:

Eddie Izzard for P.M. anyone?

That would blizzardly hazardous.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@billnotben

I'd vote for a tub of lard before either of those two, seriously.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

@bjallenby

I am sure you would agree the internet is being used to carry out an increasing amount of illegal activity.

The government are under considerable pressure to take action which prevents such activity as every time something that appears in the press regarding illegal incidents and the internet the government are blamed for not doing something about it, so the question is what should they do about it ?

When anyone appears in court charged with something they are deemed innocent until proved guilty and the prosecution can hardly say we were spying on you and obtained the information that way, I suspect, but do not really know, that the government agencies can decode any current encription systems and use that to target in on certain individuals with a search warrant and examine their computer for evidence, likely saying they got a tip off about that individual.

In the early days thousands were charged as they used credit cards to obtain illegal stuff.

The sad fact is the majority of people use the internet for a range of legitimate purposes and as usual it is the innocent who suffer most in any crackdown