cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Election Thread

Highlighted
Community Veteran

General Election Thread

Over a week ago a mod locked the General Election thread stating 'It will remain locked until what, if any, action may be taken'.

Since then we have not received any information regarding the thread being unlocked. The subject is a very important one and we should not be prevented from entering into discussion in it.

Could the mods please tell us when this thread will be unlocked?

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 120

Re: General Election Thread

If Plusnet's got any sense it will remain locked.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Important yes, but despite your best efforts with both the Brexit and General Election threads which you started by asking us to be polite it was never going to be was it.

More than one way to skin a cat which is why we have the Bridge to Nowhere thread started by @Luzern and the Promises Promises one both of which give scope to both of those topics and hopefully, without attracting those who seem to take pleasure in kicking the can over just because they, well because they can.

Have agree with @Baldrick1 here, let's keep it locked.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@artmo wrote:

...tell us when this thread will be unlocked?

If it was unlocked it might turn out to be a bit of a one-sided affair as one of the most prolific contributors to it appears to have been on holiday since it was locked.  😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN  I think his 'holiday' could be the solution to the problems we were having. I have to say if the mods had dealt with him more firmly earlier on then the thread would have been OK.

@Minivanman  there are in fact 4 other threads started on matters that may have gone into the GE one. This is despite the mods asking for this not to happen.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@artmo wrote:

@RobPN  I think his 'holiday' could be the solution to the problems we were having. I have to say if the mods had dealt with him more firmly earlier on then the thread would have been OK.

@artmo 

I hope you're not counting your chlorinated chickens before they've hatched!  🙄

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobPN 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@RobPN wrote:

@artmo wrote:

...tell us when this thread will be unlocked?

If it was unlocked it might turn out to be a bit of a one-sided affair as one of the most prolific contributors to it appears to have been on holiday since it was locked.  😉

But has he gone on holiday ? Farage has decided not to challenge any seats that the conservatives won at the last election but will target seats in the Labour areas where the majority wanted to leave.

The writing is on the wall so our friend may well have moved to the EU

😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

You can always tell who the most intellegent labour party supporters are........

They are the ones urging you to vote for the Conservatives !

😄

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Farage has decided not to challenge any seats that the conservatives won at the last election but will target seats in the Labour areas where the majority wanted to leave.

IMO it's just a shame Boris won't see sense and reciprocate in the (normally) Labour strong-holds where the majority voted LeaveEU but the Conservatives have little or no chance of winning, whereas the Brexit Party may do better.  They can always go back to voting for their lifelong-supported party at the following GE once we're free.

After all, Nigel (under pressure from others) has now backed down on his demand that Boris drops his deal completely and goes for an immediate clean break.  What's not to like for Boris?  🙄

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

The thing is he is new to the position and may well be reluctant to share even a smidgen of the limelight with Farage despite their apparent shared intent. After all it's Farage that's doing the asking which may well leave Boris feeling he has a better chance. 

Post election (and this would be my bet) they may well from a majority coalition.

You heard it here first folks. 

As for Corbyn, is that a baby carrot in your pocket or are you just disappointed you lost the election? 😂

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Post election (and this would be my bet) they may well from a majority coalition.

Ideally, but that's if the Brexit Party are in a position to do so, after all if the 'Leave' vote is split in too many places there may not be be any 'Leave' winners as Labour/LibDims might continue to hold some of their traditional seats.

It looks like I'll be voting Conservative for a second time in my life as I suspect there won't be a Brexit Party candidate this time because where I live it's only ever been a straight fight between Con/Lib, but at least that'll remove the decision I'd have had to make between Con / BP.

As for Corbyn, is that a baby carrot in your pocket or are you just disappointed you lost the election? 😂

🤣

I heard quoted on the BBC earlier this afternoon a typical whinge from the Wee Crankie after she'd heard the announcement that the BP will not contest the seats which the Cons won in the last election;  

Quote:  (Boris Johnson) "is having his strings pulled by Nigel Farage

and  

“The Brexit Party’s announcement today really does underline the fact that Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage are joined at the hip and, frankly, any form of Brexit that is acceptable to Nigel Farage is going to be deeply damaging for Scotland."

😀

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

So, Farage is supposed to have been hinted for a peerage, if his group does not stand in conservative held seats. I'm not sure if that is in the PM's gift, but it has that "fragrant air of the countryside" about it. I can't decide at all,  what worth it'll turn out to have, as it cannot be sure that all or any of the Brexit troops will obey their master.

Another thing, I'm not sure how Farage's elevation would turn out for him, were it to materialise. ATM with his little army behind him, he can quaff and grandstand, make loud belligerent noises.How that will go down in the Lords, and whether allowed leaves me wondering, given it seems a disciplined assembly not given to his sort of bombast.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

I've heard some of those rumours too in the news, but without a link to a reliable source we may as well assume it's fake news.

Even if he was offered a peerage, I wonder whether he'd accept?

And if he was and he did, I'd lay a Pound to a Euro that many Brexiteers would say he deserved it.  😀

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Has this now become another election thread by default?

If the topic gets locked no worries, just reintroduce it with a prefix and hey presto. 😀