Did you mean: 

General Election Thread

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: General Election Thread

@artmo wrote:

@wotsup wrote:

Oh no - he's found the thread - moderators please lock this thread - pretty please.....

No the individual should be banned.

Why should the rest of us be penalised because of one fool?

Since we have started discussing the GE again it has been civilized, let's keep it that way!

🙄

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

Today's twist

I guess we will be in for a few more twists before the GE takes place.

I suspect in a number of Labour areas where they voted leave there would be no chance of them voting Tory and unlikely to bother voting at all unless some party such as the Brexit party offer  what the Labour party failed to deliver.

Also seems a bit too faced that our Scottish friend is commenting on a stitch up between the Tories and Nigel Farage when they themselves are happy to support Labour providing they support another independence vote for Scotland.

Equally a number of other parties are looking at tactile voting by not standing in areas where another party who supports their views is likely to win......so much for democracy.

Actually good points, and I think few think there is going to be other than more tied parliament leading to a confirmatory referendum based on what actually is here on the table - with at least a lessor coating of fairy dust.

Thats why a confirmatory referendum is what was and is needed, so a General Elections can be judged on other issues.

... Not that this is going to go away for a looooong time whatever happens now. The splits seem un-mendable.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Great idea, and after the election we can jolly well have another one - just for "confirmatory" purposes you understand.

Highlighted
Pro

and as long as there is enough supported reason, so there should be.

Just like general elections

I would have said, just so long as there is honest reason - but fat chance of that even in a general election..

and I think minority governments in most times is the best option - if it wasn't that in the UK they just spend all the time deceiving, lying and cheating - manoeuvring to get a majority so they can do things despite everyone else's wishes

- rather than some honesty in goals and situation and agreeing things up front to get things done.

(which rules out the last referendum and pretty much every general election we have had to a large extent)

and believe it or not, I am disappointed that the Brexit party isn't running country wide - and NOT because it might split the Brexit vote - but because they do seem at least a damn sight more honest in their goals than Johnson or Corbyn ever will be.

As it is they will likely end up with nowt again - and although I'll laugh at that, I do think that is wrong as there is a voice that needs proper representation no matter how much I might disagree with it or the people heading those voices at the moment..

I can accept honest thoughtful differences in opinion and politics, I just cant abide liars and bovine pooers.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Great idea, and after the election we can jolly well have another one - just for "confirmatory" purposes you understand.

They didn't even re-run the disputed / rigged Peterborough by-election where there was a cigarette paper of a majority for the Labour candidate... so no chance of re-running an election where the libdems have deliberately decided to reduce the choice of voters in certain seats by forming a 'cartel' - wonder if it is actually legal,  but don't expect the remain biased electoral commission to say anything...

Maybe the future is to have confirmatory votes on everything, to allow people to change their minds - never mind the death of democracy and one man person / one vote / one chance democracy we have become used to.

Highlighted
Pro

@wotsup wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

They didn't even re-run the disputed / rigged Peterborough by-election where there was a cigarette paper of a majority for the Labour candidate...

🙄

Is Peterborough excluded from the general election next month for some reason then?

Duhhh

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The whole system is just plain daft.

A referrendum gives everyone who bothers to vote a equal opportunity to agree or disagree on whatever the topic is.

A general election allows appointment of MP's who get the majority of votes for the area they represent so local issue are usually a high priority for voters in a particular area.

A referrendum irrespective of it's legal status compared to the rights of parliament is a more fair and democratic way to decide issues that will have a major impact on the whole country and to avoid MP's wasting 3 years talking about a subject. The way forward might be to agree more referrendums on subjects the majority of MP's are unable to agree on in cases where the decision is going to have a major impact on the whole country. Parliament would be required by law to uphold the result without admendments.

Consider for example Blair and his rush to involve us in a war that was no direct threat to this country....would it have still taken place if we were allowed a referrendum on it ?

Switzerland has plenty of referrendums why not us ?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I have just read that academic heads are being condemned for encouraging students to register to vote and use their right to be registered in home and college constituencies, which is their legal right, but they must only vote in one.

I've no idea why some folk are so anti students taking part in our democratic processes, so espoused by many. Unless they fear those students may note agree with their brand of democracy, that is.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Methinks she'/they should have known better, but then what do students know about the big wide world - they think it's all about using the Alternative Transferable Vote (ATV) system beloved of the NUS. 

Vote early... and vote often 😋

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

"......I just cant abide liars and bovine pooers"

Then it look like you choice of candidate is going to be rather limited @RobC 

So, do you vote for the one you disagree with but tells the truth as you see it (Brexit) or one of the other parties that you agree with but tell porkies in order to get elected.

As for any manifesto they have yet to produce, well they can roll that up and .....

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman  I reckon you could say the same of many of the students' elders. Indeed the students might be better qualified to vote. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

As of August 2019 overseas student are just a nudge under half a million, so I doubt very much that the majority are better qualified to vote and for that reason alone.

Hate to say it, but I've had a lot of experience of student politics (life member, three times NUS delegate) and truly, the majority could not give a toss - even some those like who myself who were studying politics as their first degree. They were not worse students far from it and certainly wasted far less time than I did - but there you have it.

On a wider world cause célèbre yes, home grown most definitely not.

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

As for any manifesto they have yet to produce, well they can roll that up and .....

LOL

That must be the Brexit party you are referring to

Their manifesto is  'This is not about a manifesto'  isn't it?

I was referring to some of the real people who support Brexit for various reasons and do deserve a voice

- you wouldn't know them.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

As far as I am aware no party especially the three main protagonist have produced a manifesto - unless you know different. And why would I not know some of "the real people" and who are they anyway?

Quite frankly given your record of abuse for all that is Brexit and beyond, I'm gobsmacked to think you'd have a good opinion of any of them given your wide brush dismissal of anybody Right of a sandal wearing snowflake Liberal.

As for a Brexit manifesto, no it is not about that.

Brexit is simply leaving the EU. Period. No ifs, not buts, no promises... no 💩

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There has even been talk of allowing people to vote via the internet at some future date but I cannot see that happening very soon.

Apart from the security risk which might include some party in power monitoring how people vote there is also the risk that some may be forced by others to vote in a particular way.

There have already been concerns about postal voting, I can understand the need that some people have of being unable to get to a polling station but wishing to vote but voting via the internet would just add to problems.