cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gender Pay Gap

Fixes: 47

Gender Pay Gap

David Cameron to set out plans to tackle gender pay gap http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33515629
Would that mean equal pay and conditions....including relinquishing paid maternity leave.
/Coat
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Gender Pay Gap

Yes just like pensions?
Everyone getting the "equally" worse solution.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't know where this gap is, but would be interested to know,
At the place(s) I spent all my working life, what you got paid was based on the job you did, not your gender.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

what's likely to happen is that male wages will drop to match the female wage rather then female wages getting increased.
so everyone is a loser Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: jab1
I don't know where this gap is, but would be interested to know,
At the place(s) I spent all my working life, what you got paid was based on the job you did, not your gender.

Agreed. I've found that if jobs are identical then men and women have always got paid the same.
Most jobs are advertised and part of the detail is the salary. Everyone can see the pay scale prior ro applying.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

its a load of nonsense about companies where women are in the top jobs which pay less than others in a similar line of work, its almost as if they are trying to legislate the slaery packages for private firms many of which pay what they feel is fair regardless of the gender of the person occupying the spot, although some feel maligned they don't get the same bonus package each year closer examination often reveals that's down to performance or rather lack of it on the part of the wimin who would rather bemoan the system than put in the extra time and effort to gain the same results and rewards....
where I worked everyone got the same basic salary but in the name of equality wimin had to do half the job and had lower performance targets to reach to gain that pay, I have always been a proponent of equality in all things, but why should I be forced ot stop what i'm doing to give someone who cant physically do the job a hand and get behind on my work? either way I get a bollocking but its more severe if I didn't stop to help the bird .......
either they are capable and achieve the same performance or they are not and should be paid less !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: artmo
Agreed. I've found that if jobs are identical then men and women have always got paid the same.

i wouldn't say that's entirely true.
it's quite common for a group of people to be doing the same role but all have different salary.
it's down to what you negotiate at the time, or when you ask for a raise etc.
it's rarely a gender thing though, more about who can negotiate a better deal.
Quote from: nanotm
its a load of nonsense about companies where women are in the top jobs which pay less than others in a similar line of work, its almost as if they are trying to legislate the slaery packages for private firms many of which pay what they feel is fair regardless of the gender of the person occupying the spot, although some feel maligned they don't get the same bonus package each year closer examination often reveals that's down to performance or rather lack of it on the part of the wimin who would rather bemoan the system than put in the extra time and effort to gain the same results and rewards....
where I worked everyone got the same basic salary but in the name of equality wimin had to do half the job and had lower performance targets to reach to gain that pay, I have always been a proponent of equality in all things, but why should I be forced ot stop what i'm doing to give someone who cant physically do the job a hand and get behind on my work? either way I get a [Censored] but its more severe if I didn't stop to help the bird .......
either they are capable and achieve the same performance or they are not and should be paid less !

unfortunately any sensible point you may have had has been lost in the sexist manner you chose to voice it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AFAIK all those saying there is no gap in this thread are men. Thats interesting..
Credit to chenks where its due, he / she does at least acknowledge the issue - and so do I.
What i find odd is that the op says David cameron has introduced plans to deal with it.  Not that he is dealing with it / making it illegal but has got plans.
Plans can take many years to happen but are still seen as being proactive about something. If you ask me it's a method to stall the issue.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

A consultation on the measure - introduced in the final months of the coalition - is to begin on Tuesday.

A little bit more than a plan - a consultation is being started by the government next week.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In jobs that are mainly done by women, such as nursing pay was well below the average years ago but fortunately this has changed in recent times but with 1% increases over then next 4 years and pension changes there will be a reduction for most people in a government job.
I recall a case where some dinner ladies took a case out against the local council and won years of backpay as they were able to show that men on the same grading scale had been getting more pay.
Amazed the problem still exists as I would have thought a Labour government when in power would have dealt with any inequality in pay
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

far from it Gordon brown told them that they got less pay because they were worth less in the business world and more should stay at home and raise the progeny they created, I read several complaint articles on the subject in the past 20 years and in less than 1% of them was there an actual case to answer, however there were a lot of examples of the goal posts being different to achieve the same pay for men and women, equality in all things should be the answer and where a woman is capable of performing the same as a man (especially in manual  tasks) they should earn the same pay, another problem with female execs is their inability to perform the same tasks as male colleagues when dealing with overseas options, indeed in some countries they are legally prevented from doing so.
clearly my tong in cheek post above was taken the wrong way but hey ho
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
A consultation on the measure - introduced in the final months of the coalition - is to begin on Tuesday.

A little bit more than a plan - a consultation is being started by the government next week.

But consultations still leave open the opportunity for rejection of the idea.
Like I said, Cameron could have put his foot down and dealt with it once and for all if he wanted to but he's giving opportunity to business to stall the idea.
Community Veteran

A consultation is a normal procedure in order to allow a range of views to be heard before any legislation is proposed.
Community Veteran

That maybe the case artmo but as I have said, it still leaves open the opportunity for businesses and typical tories to resist paying an equal wage to women.
Again as I said, if changing this was so important to Cameron he'd have done it. Point is he doesn't see equal pay for women as a priority.
Community Veteran

A consultation is just what it says, it allows all interested parties to present there views - and that includes businesses.
Whilst equal pay for women may be important, the government has a lot of other matters that are perhaps a little higher priority.