Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gender Change Warning

nadger
Rising Star

Gender Change Warning

Really wish I'd read small print fully when signing up with 3  Cry
Didn't realise that I'd have to become Mrs John Nadger but that's how welcome letter is addressed.
Have tried suggesting to SWMBO that, as it's addressed to her, she should have DD on her bank account but she politely declined  Wink
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Gender Change Warning

Isn`t that "form of address"... a bit "old fashioned" ?  I think it was started in the U.S.  when the newly married woman took the husband`s name and any titles... e.g. Mrs. John Nadger, jnr.
RichAllen
Grafter

Sounds about right Roll eyes
Up to about 4 years ago me and Dad were both on 3, and because we both have the initials R Allen, 3 thought we were both the same person!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Now we have the prospect of same sex marriage, what happens if John Smith marries someone also called John, are they both then Mr John Smith or does one of them call himself Mrs John Smith?  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Didn't realise that I'd have to become Mrs John Nadger but that's how welcome letter is addressed.

Seems like 'the computer says no' scenario Wink
Thunderclap
Grafter

To muddy the water, there's also the American custom where the wife keeps her maiden name [maybe just in case]
Such as -
John F. Kennedy & Jackie Bouvier-Kennedy
- or -
William Clinton & Hillary Rodham-Clinton
- or -
David Mitchell & Victoria Coren-Mitchell
James
Grafter

I think that's becoming increasingly common over here too.
Community Veteran

Yes, it's not only an American tradition.  I know a number of people who have done the same in the UK.
nadger
Rising Star

I remember the days when letters from my bank were addressed to J.Nadger Esq  Smiley
The correct address for a married woman is Mrs Husband's initial and surname unless she's a widow when it's Mrs Her Initial and former husband's surname.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
David Mitchell & Victoria Coren-Mitchell

Shocked  I'm just astounded to learn that those two were in a relationship, let alone that they have married.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
let alone that they have married.

Yup. The trouble is, the unwritten rule states that if someone marries someone you really fancy off the telly, you have to decide to loath them (the first someone I mean, not the second because she's still lovely) and generally curl the lip if you ever see them, and with the likes of Peter Serafinowicz or Charlie Brooker I found this remarkably easy … but I just can't hate David Mitchell. It's something I need to work through.
Gabe
Razer
Grafter

Grin Who could hate David Mitchell? Come to it, who could not adore Vicky Coren? I most love her when she's playing poker, which is odd because I love to listen to her talking about things - any things. Good luck with 'working through it'. A good therapist might help. ...
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Razer
I'm just astounded to learn that those two were in a relationship, let alone that they have married.

Cool I know. And young David is so sensible? Yeh, you go girl.
Another Fairly Odd Couple is US Democrat Party advisor (and Clinton campaign manager) James Carville and his wife, Republican Party consultant Mary Matalin. It's a true north versus south pole relationship. Rather like Louise Mensch married to Ed Balls.
Opposites attract... somehow. Maybe there's the equivalent of a Higgs Boson for relationships?
Community Veteran

Isn't  Louise Mensch married to Anthony LoCicero Undecided Undecided
Thunderclap
Grafter

For the Wikileak, yes.
Cool Bad girls are just good girls gone better
dick:quote