cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gatwick Airport & Drones

JPN
Rising Star

Re: Gatwick Airport & Drones

For many decades the radio model flying community has been flying safely, working closely with the CAA and regulators in a very 'light touch' environment.  It has been that way mainly because to fly a radio model up to  a couple of years ago actually took some skill, and time to learn.  The on-board electronics can now take over from the pilot, so a whole new group of people with little skill, and less sense, have been having a go.  With the sophistication of the new control electronics which can follow a pre-programmed path, and return to base, these Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV's) can be set off on a task, and the operator can be miles away.

Not going to be easy to track them down.  I suspect what'll catch them is not any amount of technology, but a nosey neighbour wondering 'what're they up to'.

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Update persons of interest identified.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
All Star

BBC Radio 8 o'clock news: there was a 90 min. close down last evening. A man and woman were arrested late in the evening ans charged with criminal use of drones. No further information was issued.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Even if they end up being charged and found guilty will the punishment fit the crime?

Considering the possible danger to life and the immense disruption somehow I don't think it will.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

And the financial cost both to the airline and passengers.

Forget fines, they should confiscate all there assets, house, car, the lot and use the money to pay to those who have lost out.

Not that they would be homeless as a long spell in jail would avoid that.

Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

Even if they end up being charged and found guilty will the punishment fit the crime?

Considering the possible danger to life and the immense disruption somehow I don't think it will.

Does it ever ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@7up  here is the solution for BritCops !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6524435/Police-British-airports-armed-drone-catching-bazook...

Pity they did not have them handy, at the time .......   ah well.... Undecided

Luzern
All Star

Couple have been released without charge. Suspicion fell on them, because of activities on Facebook.

One never can tell, but they certainly did not look the type.

Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

but they certainly did not look the type.

Often it's those who ' did not look the type ' How many times do we hear....' They were just ordinary people who got on well with everybody.'

Plenty of research has been done regarding picking out from photographs which ones are the criminals only to find that most people are completely wrong.

The above relates in no way to the current situation as they have now been released and links in with my post about freedom of the press.

idonno
Rising Star

Given the headlines in some papers, I sense some nice payouts to the couple. Seems some editors / people are always in a rush to point a finger of blame. Being arrested doesn't make one a criminal. It's only when due process has been done (and convicted) can you actually say, it was them!

To be honest, the response of those in authority has been pretty dire. I could think of a few places that would affect both main airports. As to the reason. Police cuts? Probably.

Luzern
All Star

@gleneagles hence my caveat. 

one can never tell.Grin

idonno
Rising Star

Gets even better, now maybe no drone at all. Keystone cops would have been proud. Wonder if they'll make a film about it.

Sounds more like it was a buzzard flying around. Although can't say I've seen one flying at 10pm. Should have gone to specsavers.........

Community Veteran

Nearly everybody and his dog owns a camera or phone with a camera so what's the best photograph we have had of this ?drone considering the number of people living in the area who were aware of this issue from news reports ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@idonno & @gleneagles

Well, according to the New York Times

‘Damaged’ Drone Found Near Gatwick; Arrested Couple Are Freed Without Charge

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/world/europe/gatwick-airport-drones.html

Chief Tingley  ( sussex police )  said the damaged drone was found on Saturday morning near the perimeter fencing of Gatwick, in the small town of Horley, by a member of the public who alerted the police. He said an examination by a forensic science team in Britain was being “prioritized and fast-tracked.”

Investigators are looking for two things, he said: digital data on the drone and human DNA. He added, “We expect results within the next 12 hours.”

( my bold in brackets)

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Where's General Jumbo when you need him?  Or has he gone over to the other dark side?