cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas or Electric

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gas or Electric

We have a balanced flue gas fire in one room that does not get used that much, the fire is at least 25 years old and tends to go out after a few minutes, sure it could be just a thermocouple or something similar that needs fixing but decided to go for a new fire, cost of a replacement gas fire along with cost of fitting is coming in at around £500 to £600 for something decent but the cost of a electric wall fire is around £100 (look on Amazon) so capping of the gas fire by an approved registered fitter would cost around £40 thus allowing me to remove the old gas fire.

My thinking is that it would be several years before the money I had saved would be used on the extra money I would have to pay for the Electric compared to the cost of the gas.

Just hope it's the right decision !

Smiley

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Gas or Electric

A thing you should check with the existing gas fire

It is likely that there is a safety device which cuts off the gas when the temperature at the thermocouple gets too low
Now the point of this is that it may be like my gas fire where the thermocouple is heated by a small side jet of the main burner feed with its own air intake.

With mine I find that once or twice a year this very small air intake gets blocked with fluff and I can see the effect in the colour of the flame (too yellow due to lack of oxygen)

All I need to do is get a length of plastic tube (about 6mm diameter) and blow the fluff away

Community Veteran

I often get a yellowy flame on my old gas fire. But like you I've long since realised this is normal after a summers rest.

In my case it's always spider webs collecting dust in the jets. So out with the old plastic tube and a good puff and it's all clear.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the feedback,

Last year I gave it a good clean with the vacuum cleaner but to be honest it is 25 years old, the general life expectancy of these things is in the 15 to 20 year range, sure I get you could keep them going for almost ever but a replacement electric one would be more efficient as all the heat goes into the room.