cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas bills

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Gas bills

Customers of British Gas should treat estimated bills with a pinch-of-salt!! They are just that and often wildly wrong...
Admittedly the weather down here in the south east has been unseasonably erratic for the time of year lately, but there has been no conscious effort to economise on the heating here...but!
Four bills ago (estimated by BG) probably around March time I think the actual dates escape me just now, the bill we paid was in excess of £300, the next (also estimated by BG) perhaps June was around £200. The following bill I read and submitted the meter reading (accurately) and received a credit bill of around £190. The current bill was read and submitted by myself and we are still around £110 in credit.
It seems to me that instead of switching around providing companies some customers would make greater savings by not trusting estimates and submit their own meter readings instead.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
pin2011
Grafter

Re: Gas bills

SSE alow you to phone the reading in when the bill arrives so that even tho the bill is an estimate they will reissue the new bill with your own readings. Another way is to register on line and they email you when the bill is due - again you send them the reading and they calculate the bill on your reading - not estimated which is OK. Not sure about the on line bit as even tho I signed up I don't want to stop paper bills, which I suspect I have in the small print. Well can always change back - I hope!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont have any problem with EON, they send me an e-mail just before a bill is due, saying either a meter reader is coming, or please read the meter yourself and submit it, the very next day they send me a bill.
I also pay by DD on  calculated average bill for the year, so sometimes, like last year I had an immediate repayment to my bank at the end of the year for about £40, I dont have to ask for it.
Just got a Xmas message from them

Eco-friendly table lamps for just £4.

Have yourself an eco-friendly Christmas

It's official! Christmas is just around the corner. And if you're dreaming of a greener Christmas this year, our handy hints will help you give a gift to the environment whilst turning your home into a beautiful winter wonderland. 'The 12 Tips of Christmas' are packed with fun and festive ideas to help you save money, stay warm and celebrate the season in style.

Let there be light

Bauble 1 Dark winter nights are the perfect time to turn off the lights and create a cheery glow with candlelight. Seasonally-scented candles will bring a festive fragrance to your home - and they make a great focal point grouped in your fireplace or on a silver tray. Just be sure to blow them out before leaving the room.

Bauble 2 Add sparkle to your staircase with ropes of low energy LED lights strung around the banisters. Solar powered versions are also available to jazz up your garden or adorn the outside of your home.

O Christmas tree

Bauble 3
Go for the real deal. It's an eco-friendly option and, if grown locally, it'll have a low carbon footprint. You'll enjoy that lovely pine aroma too. After Christmas, you can recycle your tree or maybe even plant it in the garden.

Delicately decorate your tree with LED lights. As well as being low energy, they don't blow so you won't have to spend ages trying to work out which of your 400 bulbs isn't working!

A time for giving

We all know someone who likes to save money, so why not buy them an energy saving gift? Our stylish and low energy table lamps, wind up torch and solar powered shed light make perfect presents and not just for Christmas - visit eonshop.co.uk for details.

Kids love their games consoles and computer games make popular presents. However, leaving equipment on pause or standby wastes energy so encourage your kids to switch them off when they've finished playing. Better still, why not invest in an E.ON TV PowerDown plug for just £3. Click here for more info.

Winter warmers

An avalanche of Christmas cards might warm your heart but leave the rest of you in the cold. It's quick and easy to fit a letterbox cover that lets the good wishes in whilst keeping the weather out.

Rescue your radiators! If they're hidden by piles of gifts, blocked by the Christmas tree or covered by curtains they can't do a good job of keeping your room warm.
  Celebration time!

Bauble 9
If you're staying with family or friends over the Christmas season, turn your thermostat right down while you're away. That way, your pipes won't freeze but you won't be wasting energy heating an empty house either.

Bauble 10 If the party's at your place, you can turn the heat down by a notch or two. Filling your house with warm bodies will take the strain off your central heating.
  Talking turkey

Cooking instructions often say preheat your oven. But most modern ones - especially fan ovens - actually need very little time to get going. So turn it on and get that turkey started!

Make use of your microwave - it's a quick and easy way to cook or reheat all kinds of food including vegetables, gravy and Christmas pudding. Microwave cooking uses much less energy than conventional methods and it can be healthier too.

We hope you've enjoyed our top festive tips and we'd like to wish you a fun-filled Christmas and a very happy 2012.

Helping you get energy fit. We're on it.

The Energy Fit Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm also with E.On, pay by direct debit calculated average bill for the year, billed on entered meter reading.
Only issue with E.On they persist on plotting/planning our power consumption as "Peak use winter", hence are always trying to modify the direct debit. Where as our "peak electricity" use is summer
nadger
Rising Star

I have Energy Smart with BG so submit reading monthly on 13th day.
Estimated bills are always accurate eg this months estimate was £63.33 and that was the bill created on 19th for payment 3rd Jan.
Agree that E.On are good and do like fact that one can submit a reading and immediately find current state of account.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m with SSE... and agree, that it is dead easy to "correct" the "estimated" readings.... I never pay them,... I am also receiving paper bills, very useful to prove your address to various other departments, cancelling the paper bill will save me 1 % on my future bills....  Undecided  The good thing about "estimated" bills, is that they actually give you an early indication/warning that the bill is due, so spend ten mins reading your meters, phone it on the automatic meter line, wait a week, get a new "proper" bill  and always pay for what YOU have ACTUALLY USED... rather than put money into the suppliers bank account, giving them the interest...  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Perhaps I should point out that I'm on paperless on-line billing. Up until the last couple of bills I just don't normally query it or indeed even read it carefully, just pay it... Something that will not be happening in the future.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

I think there's a difference in what we are referring to as an estimated bill - my BG estimates are done by website and based on exact reading I'm about to submit.
It's many years since I last received an estimated reading and quite agree I wouldn't pay a bill based on a guessed reading.