cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas & Electricity Prices On The Rise Again

geoffp0
Grafter

Gas & Electricity Prices On The Rise Again

Had an email yesterday from Scottish Power (My dual tariff supplier) detailing their costs when fuel prices rise again on 1st August::-
Gas:
Tier 1          7.337p
Tier 2          3.042p

Electricity
Tier 1        26.562p per Kw for the first 250Kw per Qtr.
Tier 2        11.847p  thereafter
Night rate      5.031p per Kw

I thought that wholesale power prices were dropping, I think these utility companies are just cashing in on the public to make their millions profit, about time the gov. stepped in and done something about it.
Anyone else paying such high rates?
Think it time to go onto uswitch Sad
44 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Gas & Electricity Prices On The Rise Again

yup it went up 17%, was announced several weeks ago
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

All Electricity and Gas utility companies will be puting up there prices by the end of the year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My fixed price is finished in a couple of weeks, I am looking at an increase of 25% now to move to another fixed price one (and that was the cheapest I could find on-line).
A lot has been said that the increases are NOT fuel costs but the wind farms etc that are getting subsidised by US. Apparently wind farms are generating power at the wrong time (anybody spot a reason for this?  Crazy) and they will only be used for THIRTY EIGHT DAYS A YEAR (equivalent) waste of money.
itsme
Grafter

and solar panels with feed in tariffs, which are approximately 41p and 44p splitted roughly 50/50 on the electricity generated. So brought at 44p to be sold at 11p. Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also with Scottish power. Fortunately I went for a fixed price tariff which expires in August 2012. Not sure where i will go from there !
These companies are crafty as they take it in turn to set a low price, advertise they are the cheapest and once they have got a load of new customers (or mugs) they then whack the price up to levels above the other companies.
Sure you could change but you would be at it every few months.
personally I think something has to give here as there must be a limit to the amount of money the average person can afford to pay, once you get past that mark you only need a few instances of some elderly people being killed by the cold or families burnt to death as a result of using candles or carbon monoxide poisoning from dodgy paraffin heaters and there will be pressure on the government to take action.
Just seems unfortunate that some tragedy has to happen before any action takes place.
geoffp0
Grafter

I totally agree with everything you have said there gleneagles, I am sure that is what they do to hike their prices, I am 70 years old and like many others on here just have a pension to live off, I am finding it harder each year to make ends meet.
And before the gang of old age pensioner knockers start, yes we get a pay rise on our pension each year the amount that I got this year won't pay for one months fuel increase charge, yes we get the w.f.a but that only covers the extra heating we need during the cold spells.
I seriously think that this coming winter like many others I will have to choose at times between eating or keeping warm.
When I was younger I never thought I would see myself in this position, to you young guys out there, make sure you take out a good private pension, one that will cover you for all of these things in your old age.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I’d argue that the tiered electricity charging mechanism is round the wrong way. There is little or no encouragement to conserve electricity.
As an example currently I pay (per quarter) 
24.11p (per day unit) for the first 232KW used
11.74 p (per day unit) for the remainder
I’ve always believed that the first say 232 units should be at a discounted rate of (say the 11.74p), the remainder will be at the higher rate (say 24.11p).
Low income families would receive ‘basic power’ at a basic price. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well with my new tariff I will be paying 20% of our income in gas/electric costs  Crazy Crazy Crazy
We already have got insulation/low power bulbs etc, Only thing left is to switch off the heating during the winter (and we don't get  the wfa)  Sad  next year when this deal expires  Sad 25-30%  Cry
I have reduced my power usage over the past 2 years but that is about as low as we can go now - I could replace our old boiler with a modern one BUT I can't afford the £££££££ to do so Embarrassed
Steve
Pro

Ofgem  seriously need to sort out these toe-rags!! Its fucking ridiculous. Angry Angry Angry
jmd
Grafter

After giving things a lot of consideration I have decided to apply for the free solar panels so that I will pay less on my electricity.............. I know that the company* that installs them makes more money than me But if I can save money then it will make me happier as the costs go up - my present gas/electric rates are fixed to October so if I get these  installed before then that may offset any price increases.  I am now waiting to find out if the house is suitable though should be as faces south.
And as others have said when you are on pensions then you have watch where your money goes.

[*there are a few around here who have done the same already and they reckon it is saving them money and they are pensioners too - also impressed by the company that has done the work - they seem to be courteous and efficient from what these folk have said]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Not forgetting the green stealth taxes which our Government (past and present) have stuck us with http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/08/green_stealth_taxes_driving_up_leccy_price/
geoffp0
Grafter

@jmdlp
A great idea, I thought about that, I had a price from one company they wanted nearly £10,000 to do the complete installatins, I don't think I will live that frigging long to get the benefit out of that. Angry
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
After giving things a lot of consideration I have decided to apply for the free solar panels so that I will pay less on my electricity..............

If you go with free PV panels you need to look at ways which you can use as much of the free electric as possible. One way if you have a hot water tank is to use immersion heaters during the day but with a standard 3kW element this is not ideal.  But if you do a search for 1kW elements you will find a lot of discussions on these and all related to PV panels.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: geoffp0
@jmdlp
A great idea, I thought about that, I had a price from one company they wanted nearly £10,000 to do the complete installatins, I don't think I will live that frigging long to get the benefit out of that. Angry

But the return is better than a building society, you should see a return of approximately 10% what financial institute can much this?