cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas & Elec price "decreases"... Hrmph!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Gas & Elec price "decreases"... Hrmph!

Just got my copy of the moneysaving expert news mail....
on it, there is a chart showing the major suppliers and how the price cuts, do not really mean they are cheaper !... all it really means is that the price rises in the last year, have been "shaved" to appear to the unwary customer that they are not really as greedy as they are portrayed !..
I have been with SSE for my gas and elec, until I moved recently, when BG was the supplier, so I did a swap back to SSE...just had the "final bill" from BG, but not had anything from SSE, as it is only a couple of weeks into them being my "new" supplier,......
Just out of curiosity, I went to a couple of the switching sites mentioned.... and found that I could save about £12 on the years gas bill, by changing to EON.... !... (wow !  £1 per month... or about 25p per week !)... there is a little box that says " show all tariffs, even if not available through this site)... so I clicked on that, and came up with a saving of £72 for the year, if I switched to EBICo... who claim the following....

Ebico Ltd is the UK's only not-for-profit energy company established to bring fairer prices to the gas and electricity markets. Ebico launched EquiGas in 1999 and EquiPower in 2002. EquiGas and EquiPower are designed for simplicity. Each has a single flat-rate and no standing charge, so customers only pay for what they use. In addition, the same unit rate applies whichever payment option the customer selects. So cash and prepayment customers, as well as customers who are able to use Direct Debit facilities, can all access the same fair price. Ebico uses SSE as the licensed supplier to deliver EquiGas and EquiPower so customers have full access to all the backup services provided by this major energy supply company.

Now that sounds like a good idea..... so I have just read my gas meter and put the switch in process.... SSE may not like it, but they will still be supplying me ! ! ! ...
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Gas & Elec price "decreases"... Hrmph!

I don't know of any other supplier offering a single flat rate without standing charge but that feature should make this supplier particularly interesting to anyone with low energy usage.
Unfortunately my kids still don't seem to understand that lights, TVs and other electrical things can be switched off as well as on using the switch provided so I'm unlikely to be a 'low user' for a few years yet.
It does astonish me just how high a proportion of the bill the standing charge (or higher rate 'first so many units') can account for.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Interesting article Shutter, thanks. Worth looking into.  Anybody on the forums use them already?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

you  have to go to their website to do the switch...
https://www.ebico.org.uk/
no can do, via the switching sites...
remember to have your current meter readings handy......
Community Veteran

Changed to Ebico a few years back. Can't say I've ever regretted the change. Just got fed up chasing savings with other suppliers that always seemed to disappear after a few months.
Isn't it about time that regulators got tough with energy suppliers. Too many different schemes / varying prices / payment options and they make no effort to point or put you on or keep you on the best value one.
Steve
Pro

E-Mail sent to Ebico, Thanks shutter.
Fixes: 124

I just used their usage checker and for gas it worked out around £15 dearer and over £40 dearer for electricity. This is after BG duel fuel discounts have been added Shocked
Before discounts EBICO was still around £3 dearer for gas and £25 for electricity.
The above was based on my last bill 2 days ago.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

tinto
Grafter

As I may have mentioned before on another thread, we're with first:Utility, just starting our second year, the first for a loooong time that we've spent two consecutive years with the same supplier.  You are required to read your meter(s) each month and email the readings, so you are charged via DD  for usage.  The y have two tariffs, both on line, one of which requires a smart electric meter.
In that time we've only ever paid one account in excess of £80, and we have just received our first annual loyalty bonus of £189.95, with the promise of another £75 bonus, if we are still with them at the end of the current financial year.

Just had a look at First:Utility, too.
Based on my last bill annual dual fuel comsumption would be around £600 dearer with First:Utlity. So it seems that my current deal with BG may be good after all.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

itsme
Grafter

I'm with First Utility and it took 14 months for them to pay the first year Dual Fuel discount and currently they are 3 months late paying for the second year. They also had to pay me compensation awarded to me by the Ombudsman. So I would not recommend them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's just one big con !
All suppliers have a variety of tariff's and it's almost impossible to identify the best one, even if you manage that and get the cheapest tariff from the cheapest supplier how long is it before some other company comes up with a better deal, which in turn will be bettered by another company a few months later.
When you look at the price comparison over a 2 year period there is little variation between the main companies apart from British Gas which averages out much higher than the rest.
jmd
Grafter

"Rip off Britain" tonight on BBC featured this topic and had the Mastermind winner try to see if he could work out what was best value etc - and he couldn't!

It semes like a very elaborate method of price fixing  Angry

Community Veteran

Banks have just the same deliberately elaborate mess. You pick a "good" interest rate account but when you check a while later you find the bank has opened a new range of accounts while yours has joined the has-beans earning something like 0.00001% if you're lucky.
Lets face it we are just the cash cows of big business with little or no protection to the way we are treated.
How about a new government post. Minister of Fairness? Smiley
pin2011
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Just got my copy of the moneysaving expert news mail....
on it, there is a chart showing the major suppliers and how the price cuts, do not really mean they are cheaper !... all it really means is that the price rises in the last year, have been "shaved" to appear to the unwary customer that they are not really as greedy as they are portrayed !..
I have been with SSE for my gas and elec, until I moved recently, when BG was the supplier, so I did a swap back to SSE...just had the "final bill" from BG, but not had anything from SSE, as it is only a couple of weeks into them being my "new" supplier,......
Just out of curiosity, I went to a couple of the switching sites mentioned.... and found that I could save about £12 on the years gas bill, by changing to EON.... !... (wow !  £1 per month... or about 25p per week !)... there is a little box that says " show all tariffs, even if not available through this site)... so I clicked on that, and came up with a saving of £72 for the year, if I switched to EBICo... who claim the following....

Ebico Ltd is the UK's only not-for-profit energy company established to bring fairer prices to the gas and electricity markets. Ebico launched EquiGas in 1999 and EquiPower in 2002. EquiGas and EquiPower are designed for simplicity. Each has a single flat-rate and no standing charge, so customers only pay for what they use. In addition, the same unit rate applies whichever payment option the customer selects. So cash and prepayment customers, as well as customers who are able to use Direct Debit facilities, can all access the same fair price. Ebico uses SSE as the licensed supplier to deliver EquiGas and EquiPower so customers have full access to all the backup services provided by this major energy supply company.

Now that sounds like a good idea..... so I have just read my gas meter and put the switch in process.... SSE may not like it, but they will still be supplying me ! ! ! ...

Velly inellesting!
I too am with SSE for both energy components and willmost definetly be looking further into this - see where it goes.