Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Safety

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Gas Safety

We have a gas cooker, installed about 8 years ago... it has only been used as an oven once, to cook christmas diinner last year... and only one "hob" has been used to heat up a rather heavy piece of brass that needed soldering... so.  to all intents and purposes, it is "brand new".. the big concern for me, is the flame spreaders on the hob... they are just a "drop on" placement, and can easily be knocked slightly "off" when cleaning the main surface area...

WHY ? 

it seems to be a major design fault, that is tantamount to gas safety. Surely this part (it`s actually two parts... the spreader and a round "plate" to make it look nice on top )  should have some sort of "one way click" catch (say half a turn clockwise for safe...and half a turn anti-clock, to remove for cleaning) .

46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gas Safety

But aren't they 'keyed' anyway with the hole for the igniter? So there is only one way they can go on, the fire spreader plate on the top does the same job regardless of its orientation so there is no need to lock it in a fixed position.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 8

@shutter Got a photo?

shutter
Community Veteran

will these do?

P1090388.JPGP1090389.JPGP1090390.JPGP1090391.JPG

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

... and can easily be knocked slightly "off" when cleaning the main surface area...

WHY ? 

It doesn't look like it needs cleaning to me!  Cheesy

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Ha Ha.... Just cleaned the dust from it before taking the photo`s.....  (guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Anonymous
Not applicable

They are as I suggested above already keyed with the notch for the igniter so this means you can only put them back in one place. The differing sizes on the flame spreaders also means that logically they will only fit one burner. Or have I missed something?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  Yes, that is true....  what you are missing ,..... is the point of the thread,.... about how they do not "lock" into place... but are only "placed" on the hole and the black round plate sits on top of the "flame spreader"  .... all loose...

Not a very "safe" design...

In todays ( and 10 years ago ) world, I cannot understand how it got passed by the Gas Safety regulations..

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 188

We don't have a gas cooker.

Out of interest, for there to be a safety issue there must be a hazard. So what happens if you light a gas hob without this spreader assembly being fitted? Or is the perceived hazard currently conjecture?

I can't imagine that this has not been tried by the safety authorities.

Edit.

Thinking more about it would it does the ignitor spark to the spreader so it would not light and simply cut off through the flame failure device? If the spreader was displaced wouldn't you just get an uneven flame spread?

Anonymous
Not applicable

But @shutter that would need a fundamental change of design. At present they are lowered into place using the notch of the igniter used to line things up. But if they were to have say a bayonet fitting then the notch for the igniter would need to accommodate that, with the possibility of thing getting broken as people try to lock it in place.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

But @shutter that would need a fundamental change of design.

Which. brings me back to my original point.... DESIGN..... it is a BAD design.

I am not an engineer, or have I any experience in engineering design... but I reckon I could  come up with a better way.

e.g..  The "igniter"... this could be made slightly longer.... and bent into an "inverted" L shape to point towards the gas...

it could be moved nearer the centre of the (hole)... and the main flame deflector re-designed so that the ignitor was in a suitable position.

The flame deflector... could have an inverted L slot to cover the existing location, when the deflector is "twisted" to "lock" or "unlock" it in position..

various " stop " or slot and peg arrangements could be implemented to ensure that the flame deflector is only able to be fitted one way... i.e. non equi-distant slots and pegs.. on the ouside (or inside) of the main body of the flame deflector.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this not a case of if it ain't broke don't fix. The design has evidently served its purpose well for decades and consequently no design issues have been raised, and by the very nature of the product safety is paramount so any issues or perceived issues would have been addressed by now.

Have you considered getting a Ceramic Hob instead. Funny

Strat
Fixes: 506

The burners on my gas hob have flame sensors which cut off the gas flow to the burner if the sensor doesn't detect a flame within 3 or 4 seconds.

Your hob looks like it has the same system and it's quite probable that if the flame spreader wasn't correctly fitted the flame wouldn't hit the sensor and the gas would be cut off to that burner.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Our gas hob is 2 years old.....exactly same as described by @shutter so they clearly have not made any changes to the design.

Only time they get knocked off is when cleaning the top.

Not sure if gas appliances can seize up over a period of time like joints in water pipe connections so could a tighter connection which had not been used for some time seize up ?.......just a guess.

The fact they are loose could be a asset to some elderly folk with a poor grip.

🙂

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous 

Have you considered getting a Ceramic Hob instead. Funny

Two or three reasons why I would not get  a Ceramic Hob..

1... initial cost

2.  cooking electric is very expensive

3. they are no good for heating up large chunks of brass for soldering  ! ! !   ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)