cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Fire

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gas Fire

Has anyone got a gas fire that fits into a fireplace, if so howoften do you get it serviced.

Last house we were in had a gas fire but in the 20 years we were there it was never serviced and gave us no problems.

Current house has a gas fire, again never serviced and for the past couple of years has been hard to light, equally the controls are less than a foot from the floor so at my age it's not the easiest way of lighting a fire so about 14 months ago decided to get a new fire which lit using a remote controller.

Last week it would not light so contacted the local shop where I got it from, the conversation went like this,

ME: The fire is not lighting.

SHOP: Have you tried xyz

ME: yes tried that, how long is the fire guaranteed for ?

SHOP: 2 years, providing you have had it serviced during the past 12 months.

ME: not been serviced since purchase.

SHOP: Then the guarantee is void, you will have to pay for a service £120 plus any parts that need replacing.

ME: So how often should the fire be serviced ?

SHOP: every 12 months.

End of call.

So that's progress for you, sure it's a better fire but hardly going to be saving much if I take that advice and pay that amount each year.

Yes I do have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Gas Fire

I was the same, I had a fire I fitted after the back boiler fire died on me about 20 years ago. I got one fitted by the gas board, had it checked a couple of times but it just worked. Then last year it wouldn't stay light. Got a new fire, got gas engineer in to fit it to be told I needed a load of work done. £600+ so I said no thanks.
Replaced it with an electric inset one (the one with the led coal effect), no fitting needed. Only issue with it was it stunk when first turned on till it burned the crappola off the element.

You could try the SOG as it states goods have to be in a working condition for 5 years. Contact the CAB.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

I used to have mine serviced annually but seeing what he did - I can do it myself as it was basically just a clean out - so now I don't

The only thing I need to do occasionally is blow the fluff out of the pilot light air intake otherwise it won't stay on

JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Under EU law goods are guaranteed for a minimum of 2 years, without the burden of proof of defective manufacture falling on the buyer after 6 months (as under UK law.)

Not all UK businesses are aware of this Roll eyes, so you might have to gently remind them.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Minivanman
Hero

What's the insurance angle if you have an 'incident' and it has not been serviced?

Not to put a damper on things but it might be worth following that up and yes, I know they do piddle all on a service but, it does serve to transfer responsibility if things go pear shaped I'm guessing.  

Not the same thing but the Mrs insisted we had our wood burner serviced the first year we had if and crikey, what a piece of cake. Just a quick dust over and a poke up the flue and that was it...... and all for 'just' £40 Wink

Stuff that for a game of soldiers, after that I went out and bought a set of rods and flue brushes and do it myself now and they are also rather handy for unblocking those drains should the need arise. Win win I'd say. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

As Oldjim says, a "service" is usually no more than a clean out of fluff, but some manufacturers now say that they have no liability unless the oxy-pilot is replaced annually. That is the pilot that keeps the flame alight if it goes out so that you don't fill the chimney with unburnt gas, and it also checks that there is adequate oxygen in the combustion air. This would otherwise lead to CO possibly being generated with nasty consequences.

The fella who fitted the fire for us said that he thinks an annual replacement of the oxy-pilot is excessive; every five years ok. We have a portable CO monitor in the living room anyway so if there is a problem it will let us know.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I like my gas central heating but I don't think it is any cheaper than electric heating because of the annual (or thereabouts) servicing etc.

I have no experience with the type of heater you describe, but a colleague of mine was told by a boiler service engineer that provided the boiler had been properly installed, annual servicing was unnecessary.  Don't forget that if you are letting out a property, you MUST get any gas installations serviced regularly, and obtain the required certificate, or you'll be in serious trouble if your tenants get poisoned (manslaughter charges most probably).

Fixes: 47

Annually by me.
Strip it down and vacuum thoroughly.
Check tightness of gas joints.
However it hardly ever gets used now and I'm looking to replace it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
JayG
Aspiring Pro

gleneagles wrote: 

SHOP: Then the guarantee is void, you will have to pay for a service £120 plus any parts that need replacing.

ME: So how often should the fire be serviced ?

SHOP: every 12 months.

End of call.

So that's progress for you, sure it's a better fire but hardly going to be saving much if I take that advice and pay that amount each year.

I recently paid £70 to the original installers of my one year old Vaillant C/H boiler for its annual service, which included the statutory leak test from the gas meter, and flow rates and flue gas analysis of the boiler itself.

The service is a prerequisite of the 7 year manufacturer's warranty on the boiler, so I suppose it's money well spent, apart from the peace of mind from the safety and efficiency point of view.

Modern C/H boilers are far more complex than the average hearth gas fire, so £120 for a service looks like daylight robbery to me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

JayG wrote:

Under EU law goods are guaranteed for a minimum of 2 years, without the burden of proof of defective manufacture falling on the buyer after 6 months (as under UK law.)

Not all UK businesses are aware of this Roll eyes, so you might have to gently remind them.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Buy can they get around it by saying you must have it serviced every year otherwise the guarantee is null and void ?

Fortunately we have central heating but the other thing that annoyed me was I phoned on a Thursday and the earliest they could do the servicing was the following wednesday, imagine if you were elderly and a gas fire was your only form of heating.

As mentioned in another post perhaps an electric fire might have been a cheaper option, some of these electric fires with glowing flames look as good if not better than a gas fire.

Minivanman
Hero

Daylight robbery you say @JayG ?

That's when a guy comes to put a rat trap in the loft (Mrs insisted as I was not long out of hospital) and charged £30. He then returns three days later and tried to charge us another £30 for picking it up. Luckily I was on hand and challenged him otherwise she'd have paid him!

Robbers indeed.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
JayG
Aspiring Pro

gleneagles wrote:

JayG wrote:

But can they get around it by saying you must have it serviced every year otherwise the guarantee is null and void ?

I'm no lawyer, but I expect the potentially messy reality would be along the lines of you having to demonstrate that the defect was caused by the sudden failure of a faulty component which wouldn't have been detected even if the annual service had been carried out.

I guess no-one is going to get far claiming that annual servicing is not necessary for potentially dangerous appliances like gas fires even though, in effect, your 2 year minimum 'EU' guarantee becomes only 1 year if you don't comply.

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you are a landlord you have to get a Gas Safety Certificate from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed in the property you rent out.

Given that the government in effect mandates an annual service for appliances in rented property, I suspect you would be on dodgy ground trying to challenge the manufacturers stipulation.