cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garrick mens club

Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Garrick mens club

I see a woman is taking the Garrick club to court for it to change its rules to allow women to join....WHY.

Men should fight back and take the WI to court for it to change it rules to allow men to become members!!!Sad

12 REPLIES 12
Seasoned Pro

Re: Garrick mens club

Wasn't that tried a number of years ago and they lost?

Seasoned Champion

@Mayfly Garrick club or WI?

Seasoned Pro

Haha Garrick club, sorry just makes me smile counjuring up images of men making jam in that environment , but I guess their calendars could be interesting.

Hero
Fixes: 30

In the early 90s, when Jane Garvey was presenting the Sony Award-winning Breakfast Show on BBC Hereford & Worcester, she pulled off a brilliant April Fool to rival Richard Dimbleby's spaghetti trees.

The premise was that the WI were going to admit men, and the president of the Worcestershire Federation was in on it, being interviewed in the studio.

The phone lines were jammed with fuming women callers, and Mrs kHz was spitting feathers, until I just couldn't keep a straight face any longer. 🤣

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

If they they argued for women only clubs or organisations they could claim safe space from men for women. Women wanting to take issue with clubs like the Garrick Club which was opened 'for actors and men of refinement and education' would be a closed door for many men let alone women, smacks of being just plain awkward.

What was that famous quote by Groucho about refusing to join any club that would have him as a member? Well that's will happen to clubs have to admit all and anyone as lets face it, they would then no longer be clubs.

Mind you, as a kid I was refused membership of the Boy Scouts because I did not go to Church - and not just any Church either but the one that this particuar group was aligned to. As a result I joined the Boys Brigade not realising it was even more of a faith based organization than even the Scouts were!  I think that lasted for about a year for me if that before I chucked it in. 

Do the still have Beaver scout groups for younger members, or is that word no long politically correct. 😉

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Are there any women who are Freemasons ?

Hero
Fixes: 5

Who knows these days @gleneagles ...

There may be women who are ex-Freemasons or there may be ex-women who are Freemasons ...

Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Yes, the Order of Women Freemasons.

There are also women-only private members clubs (eg Wing, Allbright) who allow men as guests, just as the Garrick allows women as guests.

I can't see what Emily Bendell hopes to achieve, apart from self-promotion.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

".... ex-women who are Freemasons"

Maybe called a 'Masonette', having gone from just the one entrance to having two?

I would get out more, but who knows what Sir or Madam I might run into these days. 🙄

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

".... ex-women who are Freemasons"

Maybe called a 'Masonette', having gone from just the one entrance to having two?

Or even the other way around? (two to one?)  Huh  Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@198kHz wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

Yes, the Order of Women Freemasons.

There are also women-only private members clubs (eg Wing, Allbright) who allow men as guests, just as the Garrick allows women as guests.

I can't see what Emily Bendell hopes to achieve, apart from self-promotion.

Interesting.....But if I understand it correctly there is one group for women and a second group for men but no mixed group, in other words based on your sex you can only join one or the other but that is discrimination is it not ?

Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Interesting.....But if I understand it correctly there is one group for women and a second group for men but no mixed group, in other words based on your sex you can only join one or the other but that is discrimination is it not ?

Discrimination? Freedom of choice I'd call it.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL