cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening Question

Fixes: 47

Gardening Question

I've recently dug out and removed a climbing Honeysuckle from the side of the house with the intention of grassing over the area.
One root I was unable to trace and remove completely...they are quite thick.
Can the plant regrow or will the root just rot away.
As you can tell I'm not a knowledgeable gardener.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Gardening Question

Just wait to see if it does - it probably won't - and use weed killer on the shoots if it does
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

If the honeysuckle does grow through the grass, paint the shoots with Vitax SBK Brushwood Killer.
The product, used according to its instructions will not harm the grass.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I would second that - but don't paint with it neat as that may well kill the grass
I used it to kill nettles growing around the edge of my grassed area (not a lawn - more a very small field) and over the years it has more of less wiped them out - I used a sprayer
Community Veteran

We have a very friendly man at a local nursery and he is always pleased to answer questions even if he isn't going to get any business out of it.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
I would second that - but don't paint with it neat as that may well kill the grass

Yes, always follow instructions!  Many years ago, a neighbour of a friend put too much dry weed & feed on his lawn. He was later seen to be trying to remove  the excess with a domestic vacuum cleaner (an upright). Not sure how his house smelt when the cleaner was used indoors for its rightful purpose.

Thank you very much for these very useful replies. I will keep an eye on it.
Community Veteran

I've always found that removing any appearing shoots will soon kill a honeysuckle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I could lend you my Sheen X300, very effective, but it is not absolutely precise.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Thanks AA but I'll stick to the C4 I'm using.
valart
Grafter

If it starts to show again you can get a product called Stump Out they are like crystals which you put around the root or the woody part,I used it a lot when I was a matenance gardener good stuff.

Thanks for that valart Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: cyrilclark1
Quote from: Oldjim

Yes, always follow instructions!  Many years ago, a neighbour of a friend put too much dry weed & feed on his lawn. He was later seen to be trying to remove  the excess with a domestic vacuum cleaner (an upright). Not sure how his house smelt when the cleaner was used indoors for its rightful purpose.

Sorry to hi-Jack the topic, or derail it anyway, but had to tell you guys this..
Many years ago I worked for a bloke (in a bakery he also owned) who owned some oyster beds, and made a reasonable living from it. When they trawled the oysters up they found thousands of starfish which were a pest, so they would remove them.
Another worker (in the bakery) was a keen gardener and asked if he could "have the starfish as fertiliser?".
So he had about twenty buckets of starfish which he put on his garden. He then dug them in.
A week later the council were round demanding he remove them because of the smell stink!
It cost him a fortune to have the top foot of his soul removed and replaced.