Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardeners Question Time...

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Gardeners Question Time...

Actually, its me, asking a question... and I `m aiming it at any gardeners to answer.

We have 42 rose bushes in 42 "tubs" or containers...  2ft tall and about 1 ft square, placed around the garden.

Missus is contemplating a house move, distance about 100 to 150 miles.

She wants to take them with us, but I am concerned that they will take up the whole floor area of one removal truck, just by picking them up and stacking them inside... which will leave 90% of the interior empty... and, as you know... being a Yokshurman, I hate wasting space, as much as money, especially, if wasting space is ALSO wasting money! ! ..

so any reasonable suggestions on how to transport them to the new abode...( there is no rush.. as she hasn`t yet decided where the new abode will be...) in an efficient cost effective manner, please.

17 REPLIES 17
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Gardeners Question Time...

42 x 1ft sq. = 42 sq ft = 6ft x 7ft or 21ft x 2ft or other permutations, so not the whole floor area of a removal truck @shutter (unless it's a dinky toy), and you may be able to stack them to a degree if you stagger them.  Wink

PS - I probably shouldn't have answered as it wasn't addressed to me, being a non-gardener!

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Thanks for the maths !   .. I was referring to the space above the plants... not the actual floor area ! ... that will be wasted.... but you have given me an idea, that "maybe" they could be stacked, alternately two high, alongside the insides of the van wall... and either lashed to the side or behind boarding to stop them from falling about, during transit... 

More ideas  ?

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

@shutter 

If you watch these gardening progs on telly they stack them up on racks and hold the plants in place by wrapping something around the rack. You could possibly look out for cheap racking on Ebay etc and flog it again after you move.

Edit.

Posts have crossed, we're obviously thinking along the same line!

RobPN
Hero

@shutter wrote:

.. I was referring to the space above the plants...

Yep @shutter , I realised you were referring to the space above them, hence the suggestion of getting more tubs into a given area by stacking.

And you could be heading for the Channel Islands or even France if that 150 miles is as the crow flies, according to the 'radius map' borrowed from another thread!  (although the EU probably won't let you bring 'contaminated' soil from the UK Roll_eyes )

https://radiusmap.traveltime.com/?lat=50.8036831&lng=-1.075614&dist=miles&radius=150&place=Portsmout...

Map150.PNG

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@shutter 

Depends when you are thinking of moving……if it’s at the end of the growing season could you shift them as bare rooted plants…..keeping the roots wrapped in damp sacking, rags or whatever, assuming the tubs are wood they could be stacked on top of each other.

Of course you would have to replant them in fresh soil with a bit of compost but they would be all the better for that.

Roses are fairly hardy things and whilst I do not have any in pots I have shifted them during the growing season to other areas of the garden without issue.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

@gleneagles  Hmm... that`s a thought... and I agree, they would probably do well , being re-planted in "new" soil/compost on arrival.  However... they are my missus`s pride and joy... so I would not attempt to disrupt them, as I know she would not want to actually do all the work involved in pruning them back, then de-potting them, wrapping them, and then re-potting them.. ( she is well past 3 score years and ten !  (like me) ) .. and has back problems to deal with ..so , maybe the idea of stacking them at the sides of the van, in situ, in their plastic tubs will be the way to go.

Thanks for all the input guys.

WinkSmileyWink

RobPN
Hero

If you're going for the stacking idea @shutter , and now you've said the tubs are plastic, it'd probably be best to place a couple of long narrow boards (maybe floor board or ship-lap size as used for sheds etc.) across the bottom layer either side of the stem to sit the top layer on for better stability.

Edit:  IMO they might be better stacked across the front of the van for stability.

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes indeedy... my initial thoughts were that we would need a van, just for the roses... so the stacking idea will develop as the van is packed, methinks... across the back of the cab, will probably be the best, and then other stuff can be stacked against them, to stop them from falling about.. with, of course... plenty of rope securing them, and probably tarpaulin sheets to protect them .

cheers  Wink

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I don't suppose and late to the party here, but if you have a tow-bar on that car of yours @shutter how about a trailer? 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran

Fortunately, I do not have a tow bar fitted.....

I had the misfortune, of agreeing with the missus, to purchase a caravan for holidays, some years back, had a tow bar fitted to my (then) Montego estate. and became a "shed dragger" blocking all roads south west, and all roads north east on the return journeys, for a year... I hated every bloody mile... I hated driving at such slow speeds, I hated having that shed following my every move forward, and going it`s own way, backwards.  I hated unhitching it... I hated getting the awning out, I hated putting it away, especially when the departure morning was chucking it down with rain, I hated having to empty the toilet every day. I hated every thing about caravanning. except for one thing....

Selling it... oh the relief, the joy, the immense relief that next year, I would not have to go through some form or purgotory, and pretend that it was "fun"...

since then.. I have always ensured that there was no intention of EVER having a tow  bar fitted to the car...

Life is bliss !  Smiley

RobPN
Hero

Here you go @shutter , my 'pat. pending' rose-bush-stacker-upper, a slight refinement on using the long boards mentioned above and probably a lot more stable.

Not to scale, but you'll get the idea, and could be made from the cheapest sheet of ply or particle board you can lay your hands on!

Place the first row at the front of the van, slide the stacker-upper in, then slide a second row of plants in with their stems going into the slots.

And depending on the height of the plants in the bottom layer, you might even get a third layer.

PlantBoard.png

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Thanks for that design... very interesting idea... and could probably use some stiff packing case type cardboard, which I have a load of  !...

RobPN
Hero

@shutter wrote:

... and could probably use some stiff packing case type cardboard, which I have a load of  !...

@shutter 

On your own head be it!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

Ditto interesting, and similar to some I made out of hardboard to stack home brew beer bottles into crates. 

Great minds and all that. 😉

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.