cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardeners Question Time

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Gardeners Question Time

Dead heading daffodils...... Just spent 20 mins going around our meagre patch, and dead headed the daffodils... it is supposed to "improve" the bulb for the following year(s)....

BUT...

I never seen any council workers going around the millions of daffs planted on roadsides. roundabouts, verges, housing estate grassy areas doing this work... yet the daffs seem to be thriving well.... I know some have been doing so for over 40 years now.. and never been dead headed..

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Gardeners Question Time

Monty Don mentioned that on Gardeners' World the other day saying that the energy saved because they didn't create seed pods went in to the bulb. But as you have pointed out it doesn't do them any harm if its not done. But what I have noticed is that the council (well here at least) will mow the tops off which is I suppose the same as dead heading, but a more drastic way of doing it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mook  Not sure about where you are... but "darn sarf" where I live, the council mowing teams always mow around the daffs for 6 weeks AFTER they have finished... and then mow them down completely.. so it is usually June before they are levelled.

Community Veteran

Well I don't think it is that long, but I could be wrong.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

How did plant life ever manage to survive without human intervention? Oh, wait, it seemed to do pretty well by itself........... Funny

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Used to follow that line of dead heading daffs and even folding the leaves back until they died down but gave up, just strimmed the grass where they were growing and hey presto, no difference!  All very well and all very nice when they are in flower but crikey, they do hang around for a long time afterwards.

Now of course it's live heading those pesky dandelions! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Seems to be a bumper year for dandelions in south Worcstershire. Is it the same elsewhere?

Good news for our guinea pigs - they adore the leaves. It's the only thing they'll almost fight over.

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Our chickens used to love them as well Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Just thought I'd say I'm hosting a "Guinea Pig Slam Down", tickets are £7 on the door, this includes a spray of dandelions.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Quite some years ago now I saw a few people doing this in Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park.  Maybe the practice has stopped with the cutbacks.  I remember trying to get an Amaryllis to bloom again by following the instructions to the letter, but only got lots of large leaves.